We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Israel
Level Contributor
422 posts
16 reviews
Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Google Maps says 35 minutes. My current plan is to spend two nights in Astoria and incorporate a visit to Ecola Park/Cannon Beach in one of them. This gives me the option to visit the Maritime Museum if the weather is less stellar.

Since we will be going south along the coast, it would make sense to take the second night in Cannon Beach if the towns are further apart. For half an hour driving distance, I'd rather stay in the same motel for two nights then move.

Question is, is this really about half an hour, not taking into account stops on the way, of course.

Level Contributor
39,527 posts
1,021 reviews
11. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

If you do decide on Astoria, there are some nice hotels there. Cannery Pier Hotel is awesome and right on the Columbia River. There is also the Holiday Inn Express which is right on the river, the Hotel Elliott which is downtown and the fairly new Commodore Hotel. We also love the restaurants in Astoria, our latest find is Blue Ocean Thai, we had my nephew's birthday dinner there, it's very, very good! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,645 posts
1,112 reviews
12. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

I agree with Chinookgrrl and dengay that many of us are thinking about "the beach" at Cannon Beach, especially with kids. It's much more a resort-type atmosphere whereas Astoria is one of the biggest cities on the coast. But whatever works for you, israelimom :-)

Good thing you're back home in southern Calif now syrahgirl - you missed the big rainstorm that hit Astoria yesterday. Almost two inches of rain in a day!

Israel
Level Contributor
422 posts
16 reviews
13. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

After consulting with my husband, I came up with a new itinerary, which includes one night in Astoria and two nights in Cannon Beach (had to "steal" a night from Newport to do this), and took Eugene out of our plans, but added Cape Disappointment and came up with this itinerary -

Day 1 - Drive from Portland and cross over the Columbia river towards Washington (in Longview?). Drive to Cape Disappointment and spend a few hours there and maybe in the Lewis and Clark Historical Park on the way to Astoria. Cross the Astoria bridge and spend the night in Astoria.

Day 2 - early visit to the Astoria Column then head out to the Maritime museum (open at 9:30) and spend 2-3 hours there. Then go visit Fort Stevens and catch one of the historical tours (it's a Friday, so we have tours at 14:30 and 16:00). Drive to Cannon Beach in the evening - sleep at CB.

Day 3: Visit Ecola State Park and Cannon Beach - sleep at CB.

Day 4: Drive along the coast, stopping for sightseeing at several parks on the way (I have the list for tide pools and whale watching) and maybe ice cream at Tillamook. Sleep at Newport.

Day 5: Lighthouses at Newport and possibly the Aquarium. Tidepooling at 5-6 PM (should be low tide). Sleep at Newport.

Day 6: Maybe tidepooling early in the devil's punch bowl then back to the hotel for checkout and drive south to Florence. Do a dunes buggy ride and some sightseeing and in the evening, head east towards Sutherlin or Roseburg and stay the night there. (Next morning, we head out towards Crater Lake via road 138).

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,030 posts
65 reviews
14. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Lots of posts, don't know if this has been said, but in Newport, I recommend not only the aquarium but the OSU Marine Science Center (plus old town on the water). It the latter is open the days of your visit.

Level Contributor
39,527 posts
1,021 reviews
15. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Sounsd perfect! Where are you going to stay in Astoria? :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
16. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

I think in this case, two heads proved to be better than one! ;-) Cape Disappointment is a great add, and the night in Astoria gives you the time you want there. Just a comment on the Astoria Column..... I believe it's open to visit at dawn, but I'm not sure about the gift shop. So if you think your kids would enjoy sailing balsa-wood airplanes from the top of the Column you might want to fit the visit there into the late afternoon of day 1.

To the question on your other thread about water shoes, they're below-the-ankle, rubbery, slipper-like things. Your kids may not want/need them when they're splashing about in the surf, but they might come in handy when you're tidepooling. Don't have to make that decision now, though, obviously.

If day 2 is August 12 or 26, consider making your reservations as soon as practical. Seaside hosts large events both of those weekends, so lodging there and in nearby towns books up quickly.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 01:05
Israel
Level Contributor
422 posts
16 reviews
17. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Thank you everyone! Yes, I am much happier with the new plan!

I'll check on the Astoria column shop opening times. The planes are why I really want to go there in the first place - no point in getting there with no planes in hand!

Water shoes sound a lot like crocs, so I think we'll stick to those. Or see while there - if they prefer to have them on or go barefoot.

Oh, and I'm just starting booking hotels now. Reached the end of May in Monterey today lol. Will take a while to get to the Oregon beach part. Thanks for the tip about the conventions - we should be in Cannon Beach in the 13th and 14th - which are a Saturday and a Sunday, and probably enough of a challenge as it is with booking good accommodation at a reasonable price!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
18. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Those little balsa wood planes are available at lots of different places, so if your schedule and the gift shop's don't line up, plan a quick visit to most any "variety store" like Target or Wal-Mart, or even the drug stores like Rite Aid and Walgreens. The planes are often sold in multi-packs in the party favor section...as are those little parachute men.

Israel
Level Contributor
422 posts
16 reviews
19. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

That's an excellent idea! So, basically, we can fly anything we want off the top of the column? I guess we have to go find it all in the end and pick it up lol.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,645 posts
1,112 reviews
20. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Just a note, though, there are no Walmarts or Target stores around Astoria ;-) There is a Walgreens south of town across the Youngs Bay bridge.

Get answers to your questions about Astoria