We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental and exploring the coast

Abbotsford, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental and exploring the coast

I'm going to be visiting Astoria on the 19th of May on a cruise ship, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good car rental agency. I did some searches and found some chain rental agencies, but also one called Lum's, which rents Toyotas. Does anyone have any experience with them? My plan was to drive as far south as Cannon Beach, and walk on the beach and visit antique shops. Any advice would be welcome!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental and exploring the coast

How long is your layover in Astoria? Sorry I know nothing about Lum's.

Abbotsford, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental and exploring the coast

From 8:00 am to 4:00 pm is what the ship is scheduled for, but it takes time to disembark, plus they want you back on board half an hour before the scheduled departure time.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental and exploring the coast

Lum's (used to be Lum and Uti) is one of the oldest and most respected car dealerships on the N Coast. My parents have bought several vehicles from them over the years with great satisfaction. If the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them.

Level Contributor
35,737 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental and exploring the coast

There are some nice antique shops in downtown Astoria. www.oldoregon.com is a nice website for the area, enjoy your trip! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental and exploring the coast

So you have plenty of time to wander down to Cannon Beach :-)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental and exploring the coast

I'm on the same page as half-Brit. I'd rent a car and drive down to Cannon Beach to walk on the beach, look at some of the galleries in town and enjoy an Oyster Burger and a Duck Dive Pale (or a micro-brewed root beer made on premises) at Bill's Tavern and then return to your ship!

7. Re: Car Rental and exploring the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Astoria