We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crabbing and/or clamming in Astoria?

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Topic
Crabbing and/or clamming in Astoria?

We are visiting Astoria over the July 4th weekend. Is this a good time to go crabbing/clamming? If so, where can we rent equipment and where is the best place to try to catch something? Can you crab from the shore/a pier or do you have to do it from a boat? We are familiar with Astoria, but have never done either of these activities, and want to try. Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crabbing and/or clamming in Astoria?

People go crabbing year 'round, but I don't know if there is a difference in quality or quantity at certain times of the year. Yes, you can crab from a dock or pier. Here is some general information:

http://www.nwfish.com/Crab/crabbing.htm

I don't have any first hand knowledge of crabbing in Astoria (although I've done my share on the central coast!) , so don't know where folks rent the gear, but perhaps you could contact the Chamber of Commerce.

Clamming is done on a beach, and since Astoria has no beach, you'd need to drive to one. I don't know if they allow clamming at Fort Stevens, so Gearhart may be the closest beach for clamming.

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crabbing and/or clamming in Astoria?

Thanks for the info!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crabbing and/or clamming in Astoria?

Crabs are much better during other months. The general rule is months that end in "R" have the best tasting crab.

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crabbing and/or clamming in Astoria?

Thanks. I had heard that about the R months, but I also heard that was an old wives tale!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crabbing and/or clamming in Astoria?

Nope, it's an old husband's tale ;-)

6. Re: Crabbing and/or clamming in Astoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Astoria