We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere for crab dinner

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Anywhere for crab dinner

I have had the hardest time finding crab on the Long Beach Peninsula, where we normally stay, and we are willing to drive to Astoria for a good crab dinner. Any ideas?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere for crab dinner

I think the problem is the comercial crabbing season this year was a little late- the crabs werent finished molting and there isnt much meat inside-also there havent been very many harvested this season...

oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/12/or…

Not familiar with Astoria dining, but I'd call before you make the trip and see if they have something available...

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere for crab dinner

There was no problem finding crab, both live and cooked, here in Eugene over New Year's. I'm surprised those of you north of us are having shortages.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere for crab dinner

I expect you'll find crab on many menus as an appetizer (crab cocktail, crab cakes), but except for Alaskan King Crab, I don't recall ever seeing it as an entree. Whenever we've wanted to make a meal of cracked crab, we've bought it ourselves at a fish market, and made a big mess at the place we're staying. ;-)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere for crab dinner

Half the joy (unless you're catching them yourselves) is having the kids see them plucked from the tank at the market and their reactions the first time they see the crabs trying to escape the pot of boiling water. Kind of awful to some, but you forget it once you start eating the sweet meat. And the kids get a kick out learning to use a claw to get to the meat in the more difficult to reach nooks and crannies.

Sure does make a mess, though. Wife and I had lobster in a Maine restaurant once and thought it was more work than it was worth...we were up to our elbows in shells and butter drippings. It's better to do this at home.

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere for crab dinner

Here in Seaside (about 20 minutes from Astoria) is Norman's Ocean Diner. They have a nice variety of crab dishes and also serve it whole there. www.normasoceandiner.com :)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere for crab dinner

This is the second time today Syrah has called it Norman"s instead of Norma's. Oh, well, par for the course.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere for crab dinner

Hope nobody tells Norma ;-)

8. Re: Anywhere for crab dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Astoria