We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Access in Seaside or Astoria Holiday Inn

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled Access in Seaside or Astoria Holiday Inn

I have lived in either Portland, OR or Seattle, WA for most of my life, so I have been up and down the HWY 101 coast many, many times. But as the years go by, the area changes...and so has my body.

I cannot climb stairs any more. I don't mean I don't want to. I mean, I can't. I will fall. And so I am wondering about whether either or both of these places (Holiday Inns) has an elevator, and also whether they have a bell staff that can help me with my things; I'm not taking a lot, but I am traveling alone.

I am not interested in checking out the attractions in the area. We did that lots of times when my children were younger. But now that the "baby" will be 16 and feels the ocean is "boring", and my husband is possibly even worse, I am planning to go to Newport to meet up with some old friends from my teenage years. How fun! I just have to get there in one piece. I am stopping in Astoria to avoid driving 8 hours in a single day, especially with all the tourist traffic out. (I can't complain, being one of them).

The obvious thing to do is call both lodgings. However, last time I did that (Redding, CA) I was lied to! There was no one to help with the luggage, and I was lucky my son was along, although he had a sports injury and wasn't supposed to bear weight on his taped ankle. He bailed me out when a young lady came from the front desk, skirt and nylons, mind you, and declared flatly, "I am NOT lifting suitcases!"

Gee. The Auto Club had said that bell hop services were available, and I had also called the facility. Without John along, what would I have done?

I just tried using the travel agency for AAA, which used to make up my whole package for me, back before internet travel arrangements were possible. Now, not only will they not call the places and find me a room, they tell me that anything I book through them is "only if available, and no guarantees." I'm amazed that's even legal! What if someone rolls in and is told, "Gosh, we thought we had an accessible room ready, but as it turns out, it won't be available." But they are still going to keep your money for canceling? It is kind of freaky! (And damned if I will use the auto club for my hotel arrangements any more).

So I'm hoping someone local will know. I don't care about the view; I have seen that river a lot of times. Do I need to see the Mighty Columbia another time? No.

But I am leery of booking a ground floor, because I want it to be quiet enough that I can sleep. Although I have made this trip many times, I haven't made it alone before! So a room up high, even if it faces the parking lot, would be lovely, if there is a functional elevator in the building.

Please give me some idea of which lodging has an elevator and is attentive enough to its guests to handle luggage. Free parking on site or close by would also be best. Thanks for any advice you can lend.

1. Re: Disabled Access in Seaside or Astoria Holiday Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Astoria