We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this doable?

Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Is this doable?

Okay, I have three days in Portland. I'd like to take one day for the coast. I am thinking of leaving Portland at 8:00am to get to the Lewis & Clark Center on the WA side by when it opens at 10am, to see that and the lighthouses. Then drive to Astoria, have lunch, see the Lewis & Clark Fort Clatsop and a quick stop at the Film Museum for my husband the Goonies fan.

Then I'd like to drive to Seaside to hopefully get in a couple of shops before they close and just see the coastline. Probably have dinner, then head back to Portland.

I am used to doing a lot in a day, but I'm not sure about the towns and distances, etc. I did google maps and these places seem fairly close. So, is this pretty doable or will it be way too rushed?

Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this doable?

What time of year? Snow and/or heavy rain will slow you down.

Other than weather, though, your two hours is maybe a bit short, depending upon where you are leaving from Portland and what the traffic is like. Perhaps allow another half hour.

I think you can fit the rest of it in with no problem.

Level Contributor
35,740 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this doable?

Sounds fun! The Bridgewater Bistro would be a nice place for your lunch in Astoria. We also love Clemente's, downtown. After lunch visit The Film Museum,it is very small, schedule about 45 minutes for this attraction.

Visit Fort Clatsop on your way over to Seaside. It is about 20 minutes from Astoria. Yummy Wine Bar, The Boardwalk Restaurant @ The Shilo or Bigfoot Steakhouse are all great choices for meals in Seaside.

Enjoy your travels! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this doable?

half- brit - I think this is memorial day weekend- if so it is doable- you'll get a good glimpse of the sights. I recommend the Bowpicker for lunch in Astoria if you like fish and chips.

I'd also recommend, if you can fit it in, a stop at Ft Stevens State Park. The beach there will be a bit less crowded than Seaside on Memorial Day weekend...

Proabably be heavier traffic than normal, but I dont think that will factor too much into travel time... agree with half brit- depending on what part of portland you are staying in will make a difference in the travel time if leaving during morning commute. 2:30hours isi more realistic...

Oregon
Level Contributor
903 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this doable?

My recommendation would be (after visiting Astoria) to bypass Seaside and blast on to Cannon Beach. MUCH more charm, better shopping, outstanding beach/coastline, better dinner options just a few miles down the road.

Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this doable?

Yes, for Memorial Day weekend. I will have to check out Cannon Beach, I've seen a few replies about that. I had heard of Seaside, but not Cannon Beach before, maybe it will be better for some shopping. Just looking for souvenirs, local crafts, etc and also to see the coast.

At first I thought I would be seeing the coast at Astoria, but from further reading it seems like you are looking at rivers in Astoria and need to go farther along to see the ocean.

Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this doable?

Also, probably will do this on Sunday, so doubt there will be morning commute problems and hopefully most people will be to where they are going for the holiday weekend. Although I'm sure along the touristy areas by the coast there could be increased traffic.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this doable?

Yes, Astoria is slightly inland so you will see the Columbia River and Youngs Bay to the south. Not ocean but pretty. The stretch of 101 from there south is quite dull for about, oh, 20 miles or so. Once you get to Cannon Beach, the old road goes into town and the "new" highway bypasses it.

Cannon Beach will be busy and congested but I agree you should drive in, park and at least walk out onto the beach to see 'world-famous' Haystack Rock :-) Shopping is more eclectic and upscale there.

Do drive south of Cannon Beach at least a few miles. The scenery changes and becomes quite dramatic!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this doable?

There's also spectacular scenery just north of Cannon Beach in Ecola State Park. Be sure to stop there - including Indian Beach - before heading south. And if you still have enough daylight, consider returning to Portland via hwy 6 from Tillamook. In my opinion, that route has better scenery than either hwys 26 or 30.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this doable?

I agree with all that thrumylens wrote. Doing the loop route home on hwy 6 is what we usually do as it is a nice drive.

In Cannon Beach, there is a parking lot just south of downtown, directly across from the Surfsand, next to the blown glass gallery. It is a free lot and we have never had a problem finding a parking spot there, even on busy days. Most people park in the heart of downtown, but don't think about the other options. It is close to Haystack Rock, but also a short walk to the heart of downtown, so a good location, IMO.

10. Re: Is this doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 17:26
Get answers to your questions about Astoria