We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

Malta
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

We'll be in Astoria on a cruise for a few hours in Sept 2016. Any interesting places not far from the port and how far is the port to the center. Any information would be of great help cos we do not wish to use the ship's excursions. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,257 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

there is a local "train" that stops right outside the ship terminal that you can take to town to see the local sites

my sisters cruise stopped in astoria and we had more then enough time to drive to cannon beach for lunch and to see the local sites there and get her back to the ship in plenty of time for departure

Edited: 22 January 2016, 23:04
Level Contributor
38,508 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

I would stay in town, there's plenty to see there. The Maritime Museum, riverfront trolley, quaint downtown area and lots of wonderful places to eat. www.oldoregon.com :)

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

I would stay in town also. If you miss the ship they won't wait for you. It's kind of a pub and grub stop. It is particularly nice if you enjoy craft beer as Oregon now has some of the best beer in the World. The town is vey small and you will be within a couple of miles of the ship anywhere in town. Unfortunately the beautiful scenic areas of the Oregon coast are too far away to take in on a short stop.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Level Contributor
38,508 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

If you take the riverfront trolley, they make a stop in front of Buoy Beer where you should go for a meal, especially if you enjoy craft beers. Our last meal there I tried their oyster appetizer which was one of my favorite dishes of 2015 and it is beautifully presented. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,354 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

Astoria is one of the larger towns on the Oregon coast. It is quite spread out and also some of the town is on steep hills. You can easily get to much of the lower part by using the historic trolley, which is fun to ride on. It goes out to Pier 39 which has a very interesting cannery museum and great pastries at a coffee shop right on the river.

If you want to go to the Astoria Column -- recommended if you are able to climb 160+ steps and the weather is clear -- you can probably arrange for a taxi but I would do that ahead of time. It's not close enough to walk and it's u a steep hill.

Syrahgirl, you forgot to suggest Frite & Scoop... conveniently right on the trolley line with delicious ice cream :-)

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Astoria Column
Astoria Column
2,268 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Level Contributor
38,508 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

That coffee shop is called Coffee Girl on Pier 39... love their Creme Brûlée lattes and quiche there. And yes, definitely check our Frite & Scoop for gourmet ice cream. 🍦

Level Contributor
38,508 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

Last night we enjoyed an excellent meal at Albatross, very delicious food and they have added an additional dining room in their bar area which is gorgeous with lots of pretty wood and comfortable booths. This is a very good farm to table restaurant in Astoria. :)

Edited: 20 February 2016, 00:30
Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

To piggy back on this question, we are on a cruise in October that stops in Astoria from 10am-6. I was planning on renting a car so we could see some of the Oregon Coast. Is there enough time to see certain sights on the Coast and what would you recommend? We would want to return the car by 5 just to play it safe, so looking at about 6 hours tops to see the area. Suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

Seaside and Cannon Beach Are doable with a car and that much time. Cannon Beach is quieter more layback and prettier. Seaside is busier and sort of Coney Islandish with shops and arcades. Not much to see until you get to Seaside about a half hour down the road from Astoria.

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few Hours in Astoria with a Cruise

For a couple I'd suggest driving as far South as Garibaldi and then turning back and doing lunch in Cannon Beach. Nice scenic drive on Highway 101 from Cannon Beach to Garibaldi.

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Get answers to your questions about Astoria