We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Brooklyn

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Graham, NC
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging in Brooklyn

Has anyone stayed at the Avenue Plaza Hotel in the Borough Park area of Brooklyn? The prices are so reasonable and the pictures on their website look so nice that I am wondering what the catch is. I appreciate your input, as we are planning a trip to NYC in October.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in Brooklyn

That's a "kosher hotel," catering mainly to orthodox Jews visiting Borough Park, the city's most prominent Hasidic and Haredi neighborhood. If your visit is to see the usual tourist sights of NYC, that hotel is not particularly convenient, though staying in Borough Park could be an interesting experience.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in Brooklyn

I live in Bensonhurst and agree it could be interesting to stay in that hotel. Another hotel to consider in Brooklyn is the Best Western/Gregory Hotel on 4th Avenue & 83rd/82nd Streets in Bay Ridge. It is on a really nice street with shopping and tons of restaurants and bars all around. The only problem (not too big of a problem) is getting into Manhattan from there. You would have to take the R train to 36th Street and then change to either the D train (preferred) or the N train. It will take you at least 40 - 45 minutes. Even though I live right around there and love the area I'm not sure I would want to spend that much time traveling if I were visiting Manhattan. It is up to you, I'm just putting the information out for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in Brooklyn

The Gregory is actually quite expensive relative to its location. What's your budget per night?

Graham, NC
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in Brooklyn

We would like to keep it under $200/night per room. We are traveling with another couple.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,539 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in Brooklyn

Do you particularly want to stay in Brooklyn? If not (actually, even if so) you will get more and better hotel advice on the New York City forum. They have more readers, more posters, and better hotel experts over there. Post your exact dates, number of people, number of beds needed, and budget per night in US Dollars.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in Brooklyn

@ under $200/night, you may very well be able to find simple accommodations in Manhattan.

7. Re: Lodging in Brooklyn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 21:18