We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver City area attractions

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
123 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Silver City area attractions

We took a weekend trip to Silver City, finding it hard to locate many reviews on the area. It was a great trip, though short. Just wanted to give some recommendations on anyone interested in a trip to the area...

The Agave Ridge Resort is a gorgeous house in Pinos Altos, about 10 miles or 20 mins. north of Silver City on Hwy. 15. It's at the edge of the Gila National Forest -- set in the hills and just isolated enough. There was room for two couples, and the house was appointed just beautifully.

The Gila Cliff Dwellings are about 1:30 north of here, along a winding forest road. Wouldn't go there when it's snowy/icy, but it's worth the trip, otherwise. The hike is moderately strenuous (we were walking pretty briskly), and we wondered how the 80-year-old couple we saw would make it up there. There are petroglyphs at the Lower Scorpion campsite. There's also a small cliff dwelling there, too.

Northwest of SC, about 2 hours away, is the city of Glenwood (not as unforgettable as the welcome sign promises, but still nice). The Catwalk is a great hiking area, with a short hike to the 'walk' over the river. There are two ways to get there -- one is mildly strenuous, the other is handicapped accessible. The best part of the hike is after the catwalk and along the more moderately strenous trail. We came too late in the day to get to the end and would suggest coming before noon with a bottle of water or two. We saw no wildlife on the 1 1/2 miles or so we hiked, though there were warning about foxes testing positive for rabies recently. Yikes!

We stopped about 20 mins. north of Glenwood in Mogollon, up 9 mis. of winding mountain roads (sometimes one-lane). It was totally enchanting and full of decades-old store fronts. I believe the hotel and stores are only open in the summer, and we wish we'd have been able to spend a night there. The mining town history is phenomenal.

In Silver City, we enjoyed the main street (Bullard) and met lots of friendly locals. There's really a small-town feel, even though I believe Silver's population is listed close to 10,000. We loved Alotta Gelato (see my post)!

Thanks for reading this, as I hope it helps publicize how wonderful southwestern NM is! We had no idea until we went there on a whim from Albuquerque. We've enjoyed northern NM as well, but there's something particularly charming about the Silver City area!!

P.S. We took Hwy 152 in from the north. The winding mountain roads are so scenic. If you get prone to motion-sickness, though, this will probably induce it! We took 180 back out to Deming, which was not as pretty but took about as long. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Gila National Forest
Gila National Forest
123 Reviews
Silver City, NM
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver City area attractions

Thank you for your "detailed" experiences, especially about the road up to Mogollon. It can be pretty harrowing to drive...but the town is worth it. I'm glad you enjoyed your time spent in New Mexico. It is indeed a very diverse state in both history, and landscapes.I hope you left "enchanted," and will return again. :-)

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver City area attractions

We have been to the places you mentioned (except for Gila) last year and loved the area. Thanks for your TR, enjoyed reading it and next time also try hw78 into AZ from 180. And I fully agree about Alotta Gelato, Mitch makes the best icecream!!! (I wonder where he is....)

Tet

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
236 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver City area attractions

You say Glenwood is TWO hours from Silver City .... is this mountain driving? It looks to be only 60 some miles from a rough map measurement.

Mentioned in this post
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silver City area attractions

Glenwood is only an hour from Silver City. Only the last five miles or so are twisty-turny; the rest is a breeze.

Mentioned in this post
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silver City area attractions

Hi Mitch! I can confirm it's only one hour to Glenwood and another 10 minutes to the entrance of the Catwalk. Also a not mountainous drive.

Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silver City area attractions

Yes, it's mountain driving. Lots of switchbacks, and an average speed of 20 mph. The beautiful drive takes you through some nice mountain passes. We drove through there over Easter break (mid-April)to visit the Gila Cliff Dwellings. On the way, it sleeted. It cleared up for our hike to the dwellings. On our trip home, it snowed in the mountains. For people from El Paso, it was a real treat!

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silver City area attractions

Sorry, I just now re-read your post. It takes 1.5 hours to get from Silver City to the Catwalk. It takes 2 hours to drive from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Mentioned in this post
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
8. Re: Silver City area attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 12:28
Get answers to your questions about Silver City