We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilderness lodge

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Wilderness lodge

Can anyone tell me if they have every stayed at the Wilderness lodge and any eats near that area?

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilderness lodge

The Wilderness Lodge is in Gila Hot Springs, about 4 miles from the Gila Cliff Dwellings and about 40 miles from Silver City. There is one general store nearby; other than that, you will be at least an hour from the nearest restaurant. I personally have not stayed there, so I can't really give you any info about it other than what you can find on their website: http://gilahot.com

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilderness lodge

Thanks,

We will making a trip to Silver City in May via Austin, Tx. We are staying two nights at the Gila House and two at the Wilderness Lodge. It looks like we need to take food with us on the half end of our trip. I see the Gila House has mix reviews...

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilderness lodge

Though I haven't stayed at the Gila House, I think that the mixed reviews are primarily due to mis-managed expectations. If you are expecting a traditional B&B, this isn't it-- especially since the included breakfast is not hot food.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilderness lodge

Hopefully this isn't too late - maybe it will help somebody else if so.

We stayed at Wilderness lodge in March of this year. It was comfortable and family friendly. The breakfasts each morning were hearty and good. Bring your own food, there is a communal kitchen for dinner and a refridgerator available.

We were two adults traveling without children, and virtually every other group that stayed there during our 3 day stay had children. The establishment itself is run like a bed and breakfast, it is rustic, but very comfortable. We enjoyed the children during mealtimes - and the hiking and scenery are fantastic.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilderness lodge

Just back from Gila. The Wilderness Lodge was great for our needs. This is a no frills B and B but was fine for our needs for some R and R. The lodge cat was fun and sleep with us on our last night. Breakfat was wonderful and nice to be so close to all the hiking.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilderness lodge

Thanks for the report. I hope you had a chance to explore Silver City while you were in the vicinity.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wilderness lodge

We sure did. We stayed in Silver City for our first 2 nights. Meet some really nice artist folks and had some great eats. Thinking about going to the Blue Fest next year.

Westward Bound
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wilderness lodge

We have been lucky enough to stay at the historic Wilderness Lodge several times. It is run by a terrific family who always welcomes you warmly. The rooms are homey and nicely furnished. A huge upstairs with bedrooms and a large sitting area with comfortable furniture. books, movies and games. One downstairs bedroom has its own bath fed with hot spring water! The owners offer a few items such as fresh garden pesto prepackaged in the kitchen freezer. In the morning there is always a hot cooked meal and delicious homemade healthy foods such as granola & bread. The hot spring soaking pools at the Lodge and in the surrounding area are the reason I go back so often. You can almost touch the stars while soaking at night and then cuddle with the lodge cat or grab one of the many extra blankets. There are large area maps, interesting guide books and magazines; and the owners are knowledgeable of the area, There are so many interesting things to explore in this beautiful wilderness you could easily get "lost" for days in the Gila. Be sure to check out the Lodge picture album before you leave. I hope anyone reading this gets to visit this Lodge and has ample time for exploration. It is a trip well worth making. Leave enough time to get up there in daylight and be prepared to make many breathtaking scenery stops along the way!

9. Re: Wilderness lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Silver City