We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Santa Fe to Silver City via T & C or Pie Town

USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
Route from Santa Fe to Silver City via T & C or Pie Town

Planning a first trip to Silver City (from Santa Fe) mid April and wonder if practical to do a loop from T & C using 152 to Silver City and back via Pie Town. One night T & C and one night Silver City or two nights Silver City? Shall I skip the loop idea altogether to allow more time for City of Rocks/exploring Silver City? I know it rarely snows but have some concerns -- is it worth an overnight in T & C? --could always go back via 180/26 to Hatch I suppose. Appreciate advice. Thanks.

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Route from Santa Fe to Silver City via T & C or Pie Town

We usually go down I-25 and sometimes stay overnight in TorC and then always take 152 west through the mountains to SC. It is a gorgeous drive and you go through what feels and looks like 3 or 4 distinct landscape/elevation/flora, etc. zones.

My guess and experience is that by mid-April, you should have no worries about heavy snow storms or bad weather. Some of the really interesting stuff around SC like the Gila Cliff Dwellings, Catwalk and other outdoor recreational opportunities are a bit out of town, so I'd spend as much time down there as possible.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Route from Santa Fe to Silver City via T & C or Pie Town

If you don't mind a 5-hour drive, you can make it from Santa Fe to Silver City without an overnight stop. IMHO, two nights in Silver City will work best for you, especially since a trip to the Cliff Dwellings involves a two-hour drive in each direction.

Snow should not be a problem in mid-April. Even if it does snow, typically accumulation is minimal, and it disappears the moment the sun comes out.

i would skip the trip through Pie Town, as it will add considerably to your driving time.

USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Route from Santa Fe to Silver City via T & C or Pie Town

Thank you both -- in looking at all there is to see I agree more time in Silver City to explore the area, and route 152 sounds beautiful. Pie Town can wait.

4. Re: Route from Santa Fe to Silver City via T & C or Pie Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Silver City