We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Silver City, NM to Alamosa, CO

Save Topic
Best way to get from Silver City, NM to Alamosa, CO

Howdy :)

My daughter is planning to make the trip from Idaho to visit two colleges, the first one is Western New Mexico University in Silver City, NM and then on to Alamosa, CO to visit Adams State College. She is only 19 so renting a car is not an option (from what I know at least) so my husband and/or I will come with her. We have little time between college visits and have be looking for the most feasible, easiest way to fly in to the area, visit both colleges and fly out, using one airport or maybe if possible 2, in by Silver City and out by Alamosa. We love the scenic routes, but must stay on task too, can anyone offer some help for us? Thanks in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Silver City, NM to Alamosa, CO

The nearest major airports to Silver City are either El Paso (3 hour drive to Silver City), Tucson (also a 3 hour drive) or Albuquerque (a minimum of 4 hours drive depending on which route you take). Albuquerque is usually the better choice; though the drive may take longer, there are more flights in/out of that airport than the other two, and they are often cheaper (Southwest uses it as a hub).

Driving from Silver City to Alamosa will take 8 hours or more by the most direct route via I-25.

There is one flight per day in each direction between Silver City and Albuquerque, but the schedule and the expense often preclude using it as an option. You can find out more at www.flygreatlakes.com. Also, when looking for flights in/out of the major airports mentioned above, be advised that Southwest does not post their info on any other website but their own: www.southwest.com.

Mentioned in this post
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Silver City, NM to Alamosa, CO

Mitch has covered your alternatives very well, so I'll just put in my suggestions for your route. It sounds like time is of the essence, more than seeing the most spectacular scenery.

I would fly into Albuquerque (and leave from here).

From ABQ (the airport is 1/2 mile off I-25 on the south side of Albuquerque FYI) head south on I-25 to Caballo, NM, south of Truth or Consequences...then west through the Black Range for some very nice mountain scenery, and old ghost towns (yet lively) such as Hillsboro, and Kingston. Enroute to Silver City you'd pass one of the largest open-pit coppermines in the U.S., and if you have the time, a side trip to the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, just north of Silver is educational.

Leaving Silver (for a different route) drive north on US180 and NM-12 to Reserve, NM...then east on US60 from Datil. You should see some antelope along these roads. Just east of Datil, you'll pass the VLA, "Very Large Array" telescopes featured in many movies. Self guided tours are interesting. Join I-25 at Socorro, and head north through Albuquerque to Santa Fe. Hopefully, you'll be able to spend some time there. Next, north on US285 through Espanola, Tres Piedras, and Antonito, to Alamosa. Don't miss the Great Sand Dunes National Monument NE of town.

Return to Albuquerque for your fly-out via the same route. Depending upon what time your airplane arrives in Albuquerque, the above should be do-able in five days.

Lastly, your daughter does know that Alamosa gets down to about minus 20F. in winter doesn't she? :-) Just asking, LOL.

Enjoy your visit...you'll still get to see some of New Mexico's prettiest scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Truth or Consequences
Truth or Consequences
Sierra County, NM
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument
Gila Cliff Dwellings...
299 Reviews
Gila, NM
Socorro
Socorro
New Mexico
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,101 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Silver City, NM to Alamosa, CO

Any chance she is an Education Major? Both schools are in smaller towns, not the huge college life that the larger colleges/universities have. If she is interested in becoming a teacher, you may want to also visit UNM in Albuquerque while in the area. Great ed dept. I'm a teacher in NM.

Mentioned in this post
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Silver City, NM to Alamosa, CO

Casa:

My guess is that she is an athlete of some kind. There are quite a few women at WNMU playing basketball, tennis, golf, volleyball and softball... and I think Adams State is in the same conference for most sports.

5. Re: Best way to get from Silver City, NM to Alamosa, CO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Silver City