We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hot springs?

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
202 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Which hot springs?

Will be spending two nights in Silver City March 15 and 16 to see the cliff dwellings on the 16th. Also want to spend some time in a natural hot spring with my two kids (ages 7 and 9) and wife. Any specific hot spring recommendations??

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hot springs?

Hi. Welcome back. I have such limited knowledge about this but I'll share what I know. (Maybe the local sage will steer you better.) My take on the hot springs in the area of the Cliff Dwellings is that there are several public-accessible natural pools that are just a matter of hiking to them & you may need to get some trailhead advice to find them. The Visitor's Center is well staffed, with gift shop with maps I'm sure. (I just saw that one hot springs trail may be next to visitor's center.) My recollection is that about four miles before the Gila Visitors Center is a little spot called Gila Hot Springs. There is an RV park on the side of the road. That was our destination once, but instead we pulled off to the right (in the direction of the river) just before the RV park and discovered a little dirt road that seemed to lead to a small farm (there were corrals along the road), a couple of places to camp and maybe some rustic accommodations. (This may also be road to Wilderness Lodge, which has a website.) We took another right (there was a hand painted sign...we're talking yards, not miles) to a place I remember called Wildwood Retreat. (Also has website.) This was a small place, I'd almost call it rustic, There were many tent sites, a few pools with privacy fences, an outdoor communal kitchen and very nice changing areas/bathrooms/showers. A young man was attending the place and was extremely helpful. Access to river (wild there, I recall) and nice grounds to walk around. Very reasonable charges to use. Very calming place, under lots of shade trees. We were comfortable there with two young children.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hot springs?

Bleicherblog has summed it up pretty well. Note that the natural pools near the Visitor's Center are just that-- places where water bubbles up out of the ground, with no amenities whatsoever and no signs to guide you. This link may be useful for more info:

southernnewmexico.com/Articles/Southwest/Gil…

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hot springs?

Thanks Mitch. I was relying on my sketchy memory. (Actually, I had some notes.) I did just find this website too: http://tmsbyway.com/hotsprings.php It talks about some wilderness hike-to pools and some private pools open to public, including two I mentioned. I wonder if the Gila Hot Springs Ranch is the RV park along the road with camping & day use closer to the river. (Their directions aren't that clear, except to say they're 4 miles from visitor's center.) Would make sense as I recall a small general store across the road from the RVs. I note the Wilderness Lodge does not appear to provide day use for people not staying there. March okay as far as private places being open? I'd call ahead to make sure. We were there around Columbus Day a few years back, so perhaps not a problem.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hot springs?

Private places should be open year-round. Of course, getting there is half the fun-- NM 15 (the road from Silver City to the Cliff Dwellings) is not plowed at night or on weekends.

5. Re: Which hot springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2011, 14:30
Get answers to your questions about Silver City