We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier help

texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Glacier help

I am thinking about vacationing at the Glacier park this year in July. We will be flying from Dallas and I would like to know where to fly to. There will be 3 adults , a teenager and an 11 year old (possibly a small dog as well). I would like some info on lodging and some of the prettiest places to stay and see. We will also be renting a car for the week. Any help please.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier help

If you read past posts you will get a lot of help. It would help to know the length of stay and what your interests are ie length of hikes you are comfortable with or if you areceven interested in hiking. I know the lodges, cabins and motels in the park do not allow dogs.

Edited: 17 December 2011, 14:05
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,391 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier help

We stayed in Kalispell for our Glacier visit. Whitefish and Columbia Falls are also near to west side of Glacier.

You can fly into Kalispell but we found rates to be expensive so we chose to fly into Spokane and make the drive by Lake Coeur d'Alene and Flathead Lake. It is a beautiful drive.

Keep an eye out for specials on Southwest airlines and can get some good deals sometime.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier help

Kalispell is closest but as stated usually more expensive than Spokane. Spokane will be about a five hour drive to the park. Aside from the in park lodges not allowing dogs, I also think they can't be on hiking trails in park. The Many Glacier area is beautiful and has great hiking. There are two park lodges there but neither will allow a dog. If you plan on hiking you will have to make arrangements for the dog which could be a problem.

texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier help

Thanks everyone for the advice. I would hate to leave my dog at home with the neighbors but it might come to that. We are going in july for a week, saturday to saturday, we might be doing some hiking but I'm not in the best of shape. We went rafting last year in Tn. and loved it so we might do it again. Also my parents woujld like to play some golf.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,391 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier help

Great golfing near Whitefish. Might think about renting a cabin or condo in the Big Fork or Whitefish area.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier help

Golf in the Flathead is great! Rafting is good at west Glacier. Please leave the dog at home, many restrictions with dogs that make this a lot of hassle. As suggested, read poast posts and look to Many glacier area for best the park has to offer. I can suggest golf depending on the style you like to play.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
4 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier help

One more thought about your dog...and I am a dog lover! Dogs are not allowed on any park trails in Glacier...so he/she would have to stay in the car in July, and it would just be too hot. I would recommend you start making reservations soon, to stay in the park. I would suggest you drive down to Bigfork for fun as well.

8. Re: Glacier help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 17:22
Get answers to your questions about West Glacier