We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

Buraidah, Saudi...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

For a trip to Kerala the first week of September 2017:

1) Is the Alleppy-Kollam government ferry operating? I keep reading conflicting information all over the place. It is something I really want to do, so if not, I can wait... but

2) I'd like to attend one day of the Payipad boat race. Without a car and no knowledge of local languages, how difficult would this be? And is it worth it? It looks interesting and part of Kerala culture, so it I'd like to see it. No possibility I could ever go to the Nehru race.

If the Alleppy ferry is not operating, would it be better to see the boat race and never do the ferry, or better to go another time when the ferry is operating and never see a boat race? I've been to Cochin; this will be a second trip to Kerala, but probably the last: Too many places to visit in India and too little time.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

http://www.dtpcalappuzha.com/intinerary.html

If not the ferry you can explore the backwaters in a house boat or a shikara..

Hire a cab :

https:/…39

Buraidah, Saudi...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

Decided not to go. Too uncertain, not enough info.

2 posts
3. Re: Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

Hi James,

Payipad boat race is happening on 6th Sept at 2 pm. If you are in Kerala, you can consider coming for it. I just confirmed the timing with organisers. Though they don't understand English properly, he was able to convey timings to me. If you wish to check something for yourself, you can reach out to them at +919847418403(Karthikeyan)

Also, for your other question govt ferry services are running in Allepey. You can check the details at this page …kerala.gov.in/pages-en-IN/bsfromalappuzha.p…

As per my personal experience, timing written in this page are followed strictly.

Edited: 04 September 2017, 17:41
Buraidah, Saudi...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

I just saw your reply, and thank you. I decided in the end to go to the Nehru race in August since it's probably more tourist friendly. My plan for Kerala is:

a day in Alleppy doing a canoe around the backwaters,

the ferry to Kollam,

and from Kollam the gov't tour of Munroe Island.

I also want to visit Krishnapuram Palace, and St. Mary's Forane and any other interesting churches in the area (the naming is very confusing and I can't tell how many there are).

Two questions: Would it be best to go to Krishapuram from Alleppy (with the church(es)), or from Kollam? It seems exactly in between but guidebooks say from Kollam. I could add a day to either place;

Would the above be best to do in winter (January) apart from the Nehru boat race or could it be done in August? I'm worried about monsoons, but people here from Kerala tell me the rain doesn't stop life there and even that August isn't that hot (heat's not a problem but I suffer in humidity).

I want to see the typical lifestyle in the backwaters, the green surroundings, culture (the boat race)... Not into beaches, and I visited Kochi a few years ago so I'm skipping that.

2 posts
5. Re: Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

Hi James,

I'm not sure about Krishnapuram. Haven't heard about it before so can't suggest.

For other things both January and august are good time. Though I'd say avoid feb-july, apart from that everything else works good.

Monsoon is fun in Kerala but you have to carry raincoat always with you so can be a bit irritating.

Kerala
Level Contributor
7,672 posts
6. Re: Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

Krishnapuram palace located at Kayamkulam is half way between Kollam and Alleppey

7. Re: Alleppy-Kollam Gov't Ferry and Payipad Boat Race

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2018, 12:17