We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kumarakom or Alleppey

Mumbai
Level Contributor
105 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Kumarakom or Alleppey

We are a couple planning to visit Kerala in the month of December. We are making our own itenerary. We are on a very short trip and cannot accommodate both, Kumarakom and Alleppey.

I have been recommended to pick Alleppey over Kumarkom as the houseboat experience in Alleppey is a teeny weeny bit better than Kumarakom.

I would like to hear from you guys on what you suggest?

If you need to know, we will be going to Munnar before we reach one of these places for a night on a houseboat. We doing only these 2 places on this trip to Kerala. We'll be back again for Thekkady and other places. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kerala
Kerala
India
Kumarakom
Kumarakom
Kottayam District, India
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
463 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kumarakom or Alleppey

Yes is better to stay in House boat but what you can do just start your trip from Alleppey by house boat and finish your trip in Komarkom. Try to choose small canals of back waters.

Wish you all the best.

Raju India.

Mentioned in this post
Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kumarakom or Alleppey

RajuIndia,

Is it a good suggestion? See Kumarakom and Alleppey in the map

wikimapia.org/…b

As you could simply see Kumarakom is near the large Vembanad Lake which makes it less appealing than Alleppey. Alleppey there are paddy fields (below sea levels) and there are houses facing the backwaters and the canal works as road in front of the house. The houses are facing the backwaters.

But, for off beaten tracks look for backwaters in Trichur.

wikimapia.org/…s

Mentioned in this post
Kumarakom
Kumarakom
Kottayam District, India
Vembanad Lake
Vembanad Lake
354 Reviews
Kerala, India
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,946 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kumarakom or Alleppey

I stayed in Kumarakom, and we took a day cruise on the Vembanad Lake, it was lovely to be in the open water, we did go around some of the larger canal-type areas of the lake. I would not have liked to go in that big houseboat in narrow canals. Then in the evening, we took a smaller canoe type boat and we went for a 45-minute ride through small lanes (also in Kumarakom) and that was a different more intimate experience and I was happy we were in a smaller boat.

Mentioned in this post
Kumarakom
Kumarakom
Kottayam District, India
Vembanad Lake
Vembanad Lake
354 Reviews
Kerala, India
Cochin
Level Contributor
371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kumarakom or Alleppey

From my side the best option is go for Munnar and Alleppey .But from Munnar to Alleppey is nearly 4 and half hrs drive .

Mentioned in this post
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
5. Re: Kumarakom or Alleppey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2010, 20:39
6. Re: Kumarakom or Alleppey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 13:17