We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid friendly restaurant near Henry Vilas Zoo

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Kid friendly restaurant near Henry Vilas Zoo

My husband and I are going to be in Madison this coming Saturday with our 2 year old son. We have a few things that we would like to squeeze in but we plan to end the afternoon at the zoo. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a place to eat after we visit there? It doesn't have to be designed specifically for families, but needs to have a high chair available for our son. I thought somewhere close would be handy so we could maximize our time at the zoo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Kid friendly restaurant near Henry Vilas Zoo

My go to source for this type of information is no longer around, so I'll make a couple of suggestions and hope that you'll get some more as this bumps to the top of the list. In case you don't get some action, here are some suggestions to check out.

First, there is basic snack food--burgers etc. at the zoo. But I can understand the desire to maybe find some air conditioning! My go to place for children that my nieces and nephews adored is Ella's Deli, but sadly, that is out on East Washington and not at all convenient to the Zoo. : ( You might try Dottie Dumpling's Dowry. They are not too far. You can email from a link. http://www.dottydumplingsdowry.com/ I wonder about Bluphies on Monroe. http://www.bluephies.com/ We used to go with the family to the Great Dane. It's right downtown. I can remember seeing my nephew in a high chair. :)

Pam

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Kid friendly restaurant near Henry Vilas Zoo

I have found the Isthmus restaurant search engine at last! They have done a redesign and it doesn't show up as directly as it did in the old version. But here's the link, when I entered Near west, lunch and child friendly. isthmus.com/search/…kid friendly&letter_filter=all&ord=last_modified&category=0&tags=activity::food_drink:restaurant:,feat::kid_friendly:,meal_type::lunch:

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
963 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Kid friendly restaurant near Henry Vilas Zoo

Zuzu Cafe is the obvious choice - they are on Drake Street, kitty-corner from the Zoo's parking lot, so you wouldn't need to move the car. They have a kid play area too, if he's not to tuckered out from the zoo. There is also a sausage place on Regent Street called OSS that has traditional hot dogs, as well as an interesting variety of sausage and toppings combinations so you and your husband can eat something more adult, if you like. There is parking BEHIND the restaurant off of Randall Street.

There is also Pasqual's for Southwestern food and Michael's custard, both out Monroe Street southwest of the zoo. They have great food for families, and would be easy to find.

Hope you have a great time! The weather is supposed to be fantastic on Saturday.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Kid friendly restaurant near Henry Vilas Zoo

I've yet to try it, but the Glacier Grille at the zoo sounds like fun with its polar bear view: http://www.vilaszoo.org/planvisit

5. Re: Kid friendly restaurant near Henry Vilas Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2016, 12:18