We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

Sidney, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Topic
Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

Hi! We are planning to be travel from Nebraska to Madison, Wisconsin to visit Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison WI as we have discovered that "great-great-greats" planted those first seeds! We have never never been to that area so are excited to explore Wisconsin. Please give us some ideas (on a budget) for what we can do in the fall! Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

Just in the Madison area?

What are your interests?

Sidney, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

Thanks for responding Andee110. We are traveling with cousins and are all "young" seniors. We are traveling by car...so not sure how much more driving we can handle. However, we are sure open to anything that would be within an hour or two from Madison. Very interested in local festivals, the cheese and beer phenomenon in Wisconsin, the culture and history of Wisconsin and my personal favorite "wine". Loved seeing the idea of Fermentation Festival... so anything like that would be great!!! Hope you have some ideas!!

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
962 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

The Fermentation Festival has become one of my must-dos every fall. If that is when you are coming to visit, you can also check out the apple ridge above Gays Mills Wisconsin and the apple festival if you happen to be coming the last weekend in September, the Potosi Brewery, Wollersheim or Weggy Winery, and Hook's or Uplands Cheese, two of the best in the state. These could all be done on your way to or from Madison.

For culture and history, the Dickeyville grotto is a good stopping place to get out and walk around. Once here, you can visit the Capitol, the State Historical Museum, and the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art. Then you can check out State Street for shopping and souvenirs of your trip. If you make it all the way to the end, you will be on the UW-Madison campus, and can reward yourself with ice cream, beer or wine at the Memorial Union.

If you give us your exact dates, we can tell you what will be going on in Madison during that time. There's always something interesting to see and do on campus.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

You might enjoy a walk in the Arboretum if the weather cooperates. Depending on when you are coming, you might enjoy Folklore Village near Dodgeville. They have events and festivals on weekends.

Pam

Sidney, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

I just love Trip Advisor for information like this!!! Really appreciate your responses. Would never have known about these places and/or events! Makes me all the more excited to come visit Wisconsin! When we have determined exact dates I will post again! Thank you! Thank you!

Janesville...
Level Contributor
508 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

You might want to look at a fellow Trip Advisor poster who recently posted a review of their trip to Southern WI for more ideas. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28972-i114-k87532… I love it when people get off of the interstate and actually take in the beauty of Wisconsin.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

I really like Mineral Point down in southwest Wisconsin. Very historic town in the heart of the old lead mining district. Older than Madison, I think. Incredible scenery around there and some old mines you can walk around. Great restaurants and beer, but that's about everywhere in rural Wisconsin...

Potosi is an artsy town with a great beer scene.

Also think La Crosse is pretty underrated. The Mississippi there looks about as big as the Amazon. Really, really great river scenery and pretty mountainous terrain for the Midwest. Drive the River Road. You won't regret it. October will be a great time to be there, November might be a little late.

Wyalusing is a fabulous state park at the mouth of the Wisconsin River. From there, I'd drive up State Road 60 right along the river until you're almost in Madison. Beautiful country.

Also Devils Lake State Park: don't miss it....

Sidney, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

Thanks Staylor 336! I appreciate the suggestions!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
148 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

You may also want to consider New Glarus. It's a cute little town and its brewery is pretty well known around here. The town has a Swiss heritage, and there are cute restaurants and shops and some nice hiking nearby. Paoli is close as well. It is well liked by "artsy" folks. Check out The Isthmus, which is the free weekly paper in Madison, which lists tons of events online. Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wisconsin trip Oct/Nov

If you don't want to drive, look for hotels downtown. Once you are parked, you really don't need your car at all. Walking downtown is great as there is a ton of shopping, food, drinks, and people watching to be had. There is a great farmer's market every Saturday morning at the Capitol Square... look for a farm which sells small loaves of banana bread among other things. Walk down State Street towards campus and stop in any shop/restaurant that interests you. Check out some of the great things on campus (Art Museum, general architecture, etc).

Just check your weekends carefully... Badger football is huge in Madison so prices jump way up and hotels downtown sell out early (probably already are).