We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations

South Milwaukee...
Level Contributor
275 posts
49 reviews
Restaurant Recommendations

Hello all! Will be traveling to Madison next week and am looking for restaurant recommendations from any locals. Am not familiar with the downtown Madison area at all. We will be staying closer to Monona, but would like to go to dinner somewhere downtown, preferably with a view of the capital bulding. Open to any suggestions. TIA! :-)

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

There are lots of restaurants downtown, but lesser-expensive ones on the Square that would overlook the Capital: The Old Fashioned, Cooper's Tavern, Graze. More expensive options: Harvest, L'Etoile, and Rare Steakhouse.

There are plenty down State Street or just off the Square (Great Dane, DLUX) if none of those catch your eye.

Enjoy your visit!

South Milwaukee...
Level Contributor
275 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

WiscDoll~ Fabulous!Thank you for your quick reply and suggestions. I think I will try the Old Fashioned. I've read some of the reviews here on TA and had originally considered it. Looking forward to visiting Madison. Any other tips/suggestions are welcomed! :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

L'Etoile is my favorite, but it is pricey. But the view and the food are both fantastic.

You might also look at Brocache. It's an Irish pub just across the street from the Capitol if pub food strikes your fancy.

DeForest, WI
Level Contributor
56 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

We had breakfast a couple weeks ago on a Saturday following a trip around the Square checking out the Farmer's Market....rated #2 in the U.S., a couple of years ago, by the U S Today. The Old Fashion was a very good with a dozen different breakfasts menu items. We will return.

South Milwaukee...
Level Contributor
275 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions! :-)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

There is a new place in Monona that opened a couple of months ago: Waypoint Public House. It is on the river and has a dock for people visiting with their boats. Very industrial/trendy but the food was good and not too expensive. We were there at night and it does get a little loud but it was also busy. Monona doesn't have a lot of good eating places like this, so coupled with the fact that it's on the water and it's on the ground floor of a new apartment building it has become popular. I'm not recommending it in place of going downtown for dinner, but you could stop for a drink or lunch.

7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2016, 12:18