We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Badger Game

Hammond, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Badger Game

Hello,

I am planning on coming to Madison in October for a Badger game. As far as I can tell all the hotels in the area of the stadium are full. I was looking at the Super 8 or the Clarion but neither one of them offer any shuttle service's. Does anyone know of a shuttle we could use or what the price of a taxi would be from either of these hotels? Or any other suggesstions of where to stay? I do not want to be driving to the game.

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Indiana
Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
960 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Badger Game

You can use this estimator to figure out your cab fare from either hotel to Camp Randall stadium - http://www.unioncab.com/rate_estimator

As for shuttling to the game, the best option is to check with your hotel to see if they offer rides to the game area. You can also ask if any nearby bars offer shuttles on Badger football game days.

Either way, it's best to get to the stadium neighborhood early, so you can soak up some atmosphere and eat some tailgate-style food outdoors at one of the neighborhood bars.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
148 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Badger Game

If you stay at the Clarion near the Alliant Energy Center, you should check with the nearby Coliseum Bar to see if they are running buses to the game. You could walk to the bar from the hotel then hop on a bus and not worry about any driving at all. You then will pick up the bus again after the game. As said above, it's good to get there early. Regent Street is full of bars and is great for people watching---and is always very crowded!

Mentioned in this post
Alliant Energy Center
Alliant Energy Center
81 Reviews
Madison, WI
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Badger Game

I use taxifarefinder.com to get fare estimates for the route I'm looking at. I'm a big fan of Uber as well so just make sure you sign up in advance and you can use that service as well.

The Coliseum Bar shuttle is a great idea. I know that bars on the east side of Madison (Pooley's is the best but I know that Erin's Snug Pub does this too) will do shuttles as well on gamedays. You can also find hotels on that side of town usually as they are typically geared towards business professionals during the week. It's further than the Clarion but might be a better fit for your group depending on how many/who you have.

I prefer to go down to State Street to start on gamedays (State Street Brats, Kollege Klub, Wandos, etc) before walking over with all the fans towards Camp Randall. It's an experience to take in the atmosphere on the way to the stadium. That being said, it's a long walk so it's not for everyone and Regent Street is fun (love Jordan's B10 Pub).

Have a great time... On Wisconsin!

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
State Street & Downtown Madison
State Street & Downtown...
794 Reviews
Madison, WI
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Hammond, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Badger Game

Thank you so much for the great information. About how far is the walk from State Street to Camp Randall?

Edited: 24 August 2015, 08:54
Mentioned in this post
794 Reviews
Madison, WI
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,419 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Badger Game

Depending on where you start along State St, I'd guess it's a little more than a mile.

We always park in the Lake St ramp and walk to the game--but we attended UW in the '60s, so it's very nostalgic for us and we love the gathering of fans in red that happens as we walk.

After the game, we like to walk back with the marching band.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Badger Game

The walk depends on where you start. If you're at State Street Brats/Lake Street Ramp it's just over 1 mile from Camp Randall. The Capitol Square to Brats is about 0.5 miles. So you're looking at a 1-1.5 mile walk depending on where you are at. It's fun though as a ton of fans covered in red do the same walk so you're among friends as you head over there. You could always get a cab/Uber to cover most of that distance if needed/wanted.

Mentioned in this post
794 Reviews
Madison, WI
Capitol Square
Capitol Square
566 Reviews
Madison, WI
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Badger Game

Anywhere downtown -- State St, near the Capitol, etc. -- is a longish (1.5 - 2 miles), but very fun and easy walk to Camp Randall. Just start early, have breakfast one place, then walk some more, have a beer, take pictures, and see the sights. Walk some more.

Or, there are tons of local buses (Madison Metro) that go from downtown to the Camp Randall area. Even on weekends, there are at least 5 buses that run within a block of Camp Randall. Trust me, as someone that lives in the stadium neighborhood, your choice to not drive is a good one. The parking is expensive, and you'll end up walking anyway.

Just grab a place downtown and walk or take the bus. As others have mentioned, many bars also have shuttles. And there are special game-day shuttles from the parking garages.

Another option is to stay in Middleton -- the next city west of Madison, but really only about six miles away -- and take a bus from there. Buses to Middleton do run on weekends, but there aren't as many as from downtown Madison.

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
8. Re: Badger Game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2016, 13:19