We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Badgers Football Guys Weekend

Thunder Bay, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Badgers Football Guys Weekend

I'm looking for recommendations for how to maximize a short trip to Madison and get the full Badgers football experience for 4 guys between 25-35 years old.

We arrive on Sept 18 evening and depart on Sept 20 morning. We have a hotel booked and game ticets for Saturday afternoon...the rest is up for adventure.

I'd love any recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
962 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Badgers Football Guys Weekend

I assume I don't need to tell you to bring red clothing, right?

Once you are settled in on Friday, head for State Street, preferably State Street Brats, to hang with the fans who are in town and getting fired up for the game tomorrow.

Saturday morning, head for Regent Street and enjoy the pre-game tailgates and fun with the locals. There will be lots of people eating brats and drinking beer at all of the bars in that area. Don't go too early, though, since it is a 2:30 game! You can also go to Lot 60 if you will be driving, and tailgate there, if you want to bring your own stuff to eat and drink with you. Then you can shuttle to and from the game, or take the free bus from the Memorial Union back to Lot 60 later in the evening. uwathletics.com/pdf/…fb-parking-map.pdf has everything you need in a map.

If you want the full experience, including marching to the stadium behind the band, head over to Union South by 11 if the weather is great. There is a pep rally before the game, and you can get food and beer in the Sett bar there. (Sett means badger den, by the way).

Afterward, you can follow the crowds to the bars on Regent, or Union South or the Memorial Union, if it's nice enough to sit outside by the lake.

Cabs are available, too, and we have Uber in Madison, if you prefer not to drive. Your hotel or a bar NEAR your hotel may be willing to shuttle you at least to the stadium area.

Let us know if you have more questions, once you read through the replies, and enjoy your visit! It will be quite a change from Thunder Bay, I am sure!

Mentioned in this post
State Street & Downtown Madison
State Street & Downtown...
802 Reviews
Madison, WI
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay District, Canada
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
498 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Badgers Football Guys Weekend

You've gotten some great advice above.

The only thing I want to point out is that sadly the Memorial Union terrace (i.e. the outside part) is scheduled to begin a major renovation on Sept 1. It sounds like there will be a little outside seating, but also a big construction zone.

union.wisc.edu/PR032615_TerraceRenovation.htm

Have fun!

Edited: 27 August 2015, 19:42
Mentioned in this post
Memorial Union Terrace
Memorial Union Terrace
589 Reviews
Madison, WI
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Badgers Football Guys Weekend

Great advice in #1 above. The Saturday plans look great... though you may want to walk about Camp Randall and check out the student scene in the neighborhood surrounding the stadium. It's very close to Union South so just head over there after seeing the band... if you find a party you want to join, go for it.

On Friday, depending on your group, you may want to hit up the Capitol Square for some higher-end bars or maybe you'll want to walk down State Street and just stop in whatever bars look interesting to you. Head to the Great Dane for a Friday Fish Fry for dinner or stop at the Nitty Gritty for a Gritty Burger basket/beers. There are certainly more sophisticated places to have dinner Friday night but those remind me of Madison/my time on campus.

Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Square
Capitol Square
573 Reviews
Madison, WI
State Street & Downtown Madison
State Street & Downtown...
802 Reviews
Madison, WI
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Badgers Football Guys Weekend

One last thing... make sure you enjoy a slice of Ian's Pizza at the end of the night. Interesting combinations at two locations (one on State towards the Capitol and one on Frances on campus). Best night-cap in my mind.

Mentioned in this post
Ian's Pizza
Ian's Pizza
319 Reviews
Madison, WI
Thunder Bay, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Badgers Football Guys Weekend

Great tips! I'm starting to get pretty excited...College Ball is one of my favourite experiences (and it's not just about the football - although a great team like the Badgers does help).

6. Re: Badgers Football Guys Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2016, 12:17