We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Madison for first time

Columbia Md.
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Madison for first time

my wife & I are visiting Madison for the first time, can stay only 2 nites.

Any recommendations on where to stay, downtown ?

Has anyone ever stayed at Best Western Inn plus in Park ?

Also must see on our stay in Madison

Thanks

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Madison for first time

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60859-d72396-R… it falls in mid range on reviews here's the scoop/reviews.

rather than repeat what's already here here is a good list and ranking of top places in Madison:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60859-Activitie…

Try a supper club when in WI (Madison). There's the Old Fashioned and the Tornado. A unique neat place in Fitchburg is called Quivey's Grove.

Edited: 01 September 2015, 02:30
Mentioned in this post
The Old Fashioned
The Old Fashioned
1,908 Reviews
Madison, WI
Fitchburg
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Madison for first time

I would try to stay downtown if you can, though it might depend on what you're planning to do in Madison. I have not stayed at the hotel you asked about but I have stayed downtown at the Hyatt Place and Hilton Monona Terrace and thought each one was great. Both were just off the Capitol Square and close to a ton of great restaurants/bars (check out Graze, Essen House, Great Dane, Old Fashioned, and more for food options close by). You can also find the Farmer's Market there each Saturday morning... definitely recommend. The Capitol itself is available for tours... not the most exciting for everyone (depends on what you're looking for) but I would at least walk through it while you are there.

What time of year are you visiting? That will dictate what you can/want to do in large part. If the weather cooperates, definitely plan on enjoying the downtown/campus area on foot... it's really a beautiful area, one that is more conducive to foot traffic rather than driving everywhere.

Have a great time in Madison.

Mentioned in this post
Hyatt Place Madison
Hyatt Place Madison
766 Reviews
Madison, WI
Hilton Madison Monona Terrace
Hilton Madison Monona...
1,187 Reviews
Madison, WI
Capitol Square
Capitol Square
547 Reviews
Madison, WI
The Old Fashioned
The Old Fashioned
1,908 Reviews
Madison, WI
Madison Farmer's Market
Madison Farmer's Market
425 Reviews
Madison, WI
Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Madison for first time

I would second the Hyatt, be sure to include the parking fee. Also, if you visit the capital be sure to include the observation deck. Lastly, look at the Badger football schedule and unless you want to attend the game come to Madison on an alternate weekend as home game room rates are through the roof.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Madison for first time

My guests like the Inn on the Park - it is right on the square, and convenient to everything downtown. Yes, please let us know when you are coming and what sorts of things you like to see and do when you are traveling. There are several museums on the square, and the walk down State Street to campus will give you access to shopping and restaurants.

Depending on your interests, there are always public outreach events going on at UW that may appeal to you. Football Saturdays ARE expensive, but they are also an amazing spectacle. We are a small city, and the fans take over for a few hours.

Give us a little more information, or read the Top Questions about Madison up to the right on this page. We will be happy to answer questions and help you make your plans.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Madison for first time

I'm going to pile on and recommend that you stay downtown if you can. The Inn on the Park is good. I've stayed at the Concourse for many a sales meeting in the past and its location is good as well.

As far as "must sees" I would include a walk down State Street to the University. I think I read somewhere that the terrace is getting some rehab, but get an ice cream cone in Memorial Union. I also really love the Arboretum. I regret not spending more time there when I lived in Madison. The Capitol Building itself is a good tour. My own personal favorite restaurant is L'Etoile, but it is pricey. The Great Dane is another of my favorites. And if you are there on a Saturday AM, check out the Farmer's Market. Also do look at see what is happening at the Overture Center. You could also check to see if Whad'Ya Know has tickets.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Madison Farmer's Market
Madison Farmer's Market
425 Reviews
Madison, WI
6. Re: visiting Madison for first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2016, 12:18