We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route planner

Ireland
Level Contributor
317 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Route planner

I drove Zlin to Budapest previously and the GPS I have sends me through country roads and towns etc. I selected ‘fastest’ / ‘direct’ route and it does not send me on motorways. I was only on a motorway for the last hour or so of the journey entering Budapest. My GPS does not give me the option to choose ‘Motorways only’. I looked up ‘google maps’ and would like to check the route. It would seem I will travel Zlin – Brno – Brastislava – Budapest. I know how to get from Zlin to Brno, on entering Brno what signs should I follow to continue to Brastislava and Budapest? What motorway will I be travelling on?

Also, the car rental will have a disc for tolls in Czech Republic, will I encounter tolls en route to Brastislava and Budapest. Can I pay as I go along or do I need to buy a similar disc? I have travelled this route previously but thanks to my GPS I did not travel on a motorway.

Any suggestions please.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
7 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,341 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route planner

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Check with the aa planner, when you get to Brno, follow D2 Bratislava...

You will need to get a motorway sticker on the border with Slovakia,

www.slovakia.travel/portal.aspx…

10 euros for 10 days is the minimum

And for Hungary

http://www.motorway.hu/02Ematrica

I've never purchased Hungarian motorway sticker, so no personal experience on this one.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route planner

The Hungarian one (Matrica) you have to tell them your registration details at a little office at the border and they will go into a computer. They give you a receipt telling you the period of validity. Alongside the motorway there are regular radar checks to see whether your details are in their system. If they are not, you are stopped and fined - easy :)

But from Zlín to Budapest I wouldn't go through Brno - take the 'scenic route' via Trenčín, Trnava and Komárno. It will be just as quick and about 60 miles shorter.

Mentioned in this post
Trnava
Trnava
Zlin Region, Czech Republic
Ireland
Level Contributor
317 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route planner

thanks for both replies. Last time I think looking at the map we drove the 'scenic route', it was lovely but the roads are quite curvy / bendy and we got stuck behind trucks, slow drivers etc. We were not as adventerous to overtake like the locals who know the roads better. We drove the motorway coming back from Budapest to Zlin and was ok other then approaching Bratislava we saw a sign for Zlin but didn't know if it kept us on the motorway or not so we drove right into Bratislava which I don't think was necessary. We did go through a toll / border on exiting Hungry into Slovakia and we paid the €10 fee to pass through Slovakia. We did not encounter any other tolls as far as I can remember driving into Hungry. This time we plan to drive the motorway to and from Budapest. We just didn't know the routes to follow to stay on the motorway. Hope to have better planning this time and not use the GPS.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route planner

You wouldn't have seen any signs for Zlín in Bratislava, but there are plenty of signs to Žilina which is somewhere else, although it would have taken you in generally the right direction. Just turn left at Trenčín :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route planner

When entering Czech Republic from Germany or any other you will see signs that talk about tolls or last chance to buy vignettes. Be sure to pull off and buy one. The minimum number of days is 10 but these can also be used in neighboring countries like Austria and Slovenia. If you Drive on a toll road you will need it. If you are touring and you are not sure you should buy it. Beware there are not a lot of warnings saying, hey dumb traveler, stop here or you could be subject to a big fine after you cross the border. Many of the attendants at the small gas station I bought this from spoke English. You put the sticker on your windshield after buying it from one of these stations which line the road. You can find details here. http://www.motorway.cz/stickers . Also you will find that crossing the borders in the EU has become very anticlimactic. If you were hoping for a bunch of new stamps in your passport you will be sorely disappointed unless you drive into Croatia where there is a border stop and a toll.

Mentioned in this post
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,341 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route planner

denkirk, just a few corrections for any future readers (and by the way the OP is Irish so he's aware of the rules) - it's not Eu which has no border controls, it only applies to Schengen countries, not all Schengen countries are in Eu, and not all Eu countries are in Schengen.

And the toll sticker for Czech Republic is only valid in Czech Republic not in any other countries.

But hope you had a good time in Prague.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route planner

Thanks for the clarity. Let's just say for Americans it is very confusing and is not very clear. Point taken is you need to do your homework before driving. Cheers

Reply to: Route planner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zlin