We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bratislava to Zlin

Ireland
Level Contributor
317 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Bratislava to Zlin

I've asked a similar question here previously. I'm driving a return journey from Bratislava airport to Zlin. On google maps it says the route is D1 / E75, E50, 495, 49030, 490, 4972 & 497. Are all these routes motorways or secondary roads. I would like to travel on motorways. The car rental company provide a disc for tolls in Slovakia and I will pay an additional €10 to them when I collect the car at the airport to cover cross border expenses. Does this €10 cover the disc for tolls in Czech Republic? The company I have booked through has told me the car rental company provide the toll disc's for both countries. I just want to know if this is correct so I can drive and not worry about toll charges or doing paperwork when I get to the border.

12 replies to this topic
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,657 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

I would say likely not, why would they include Czech sticker if cars are staying within Slovakia? Either way, double check when you pick up the car...

for Czech, it is simply a window sticker/vignette. buy at the gas station before you cross over into Czech

gemut.com/car-rentals/rental-car-tips-and-ad…

Edited: 10 February 2016, 07:25
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,247 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

I've never rented a car in Slovakia, but many times in Prague, and our car has never had any other motorway stickers but the Czech ones.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

The route you mention is motorway 3/4 of the way to Trenčín, then you zip across country to Zlín. If you just stick to these roads you won't need a Czech vignette, and it is the quickest. If you go this way, follow the signs to Žilina, then just before Trenčín follow the signs to Brno/Banská Bystrica. Bear right at the top of the slip road and keep going around and cross the bridge over the motorway, then there there is a sign to Brno/Uherské Hradiště (Google maps is TERRIBLE for this bit - it seems to assume that they drive on the left in Czech Republic/Slovakia!). Just before Uherský Brod you'll see a sign to the right Zlín which goes near Luhačovice - a really nice little spa town which is worth taking a little detour if you have time. It is a very good road all the way, mind the speed limits in the towns/villages along the way.

If you want to go on the motorway all the way (or at least 90% of the way, it will involve a considerable detour - D2 to Brno, then D1, then D55, and you will need a Czech vignette which you MUST buy before you cross the Czech border. It is unlikely to be affixed to a Slovak hire car. You can get them at any petrol station in Slovakia from Bratislava onwards, and make sure you follow the instructions exactly to the letter. You will need a pen to write the car registration number on the back. From Bratislava follow the signs to Brno-CZ, then when you get to just before Brno the signposts will list lots of places, but follow Ostrava/Olomouc as far as Uherské Hradiště, then you will see signs to Zlín. The only tricky bit is maybe the turning at Otrokovice, but as long as you keep your eye on the signpost you'll be fine.

Ireland
Level Contributor
317 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

Thanks for the feedback.

GCEK - I was wondering if I would hear from you, you have helped me on my previous trips to Zlin. I saw you on the Berlin forum before Christmas when I was planning my trip there. Thanks you for the advice on the routes. Appreciate it. Just a couple of questions please. When we exit Bratislava airport will we see a sign for Brno? Is it very evident when we are passing the boarder into CZ? Asking as we crossed boarders before without realising it, how will we know we are getting near the boarder to buy the vignette or will we stop at the first filling station we come to after leaving the airport and buy it there? We are arriving in the next week do we need to have tyre chains for driving? Weather seems to be quiet similar to Ireland at the moment.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

Depending on which route you want to go, you will have to follow different signs. If the short route then follow Žilina, if the long route then I think it says 'Brno, Gyor, Wien'. Just follow that until it just says Brno, then from Brno follow Olomouc/Ostrava.

The border consists of a bridge and little else, so get your vignette as soon as you can after getting the car, they should sell them everywhere.

Edited: 12 February 2016, 16:00
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

No tyre chains are required, the roads are kept completely clear. You do need winter tyres though, these should be supplied as standard as it is the law.

Don't forget to keep your headlights on at all times. Czech and Slovak cars should have this as default setting.

Ireland
Level Contributor
317 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

Thanks GCEK, just to confirm we don't need to do anything else crossing from Slovakia to CZ other than buy the vignette? Can you give me a rough idea what is the time difference travelling between the two routes mentioned above please.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,247 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

http://goo.gl/TGT2sS

this is the first route up to Trencin 175 kilometres

http://goo.gl/8a4Jnq

and this is the second route 179 kilometres

not much difference in driving time, but with the first route you will avoid Bratislava. With the first route and if you are returning back to Bratislava I think you won't need the Czech motorway sticker.

Otherwise you don't need anything else....keep to speed limits and drive with your lights full on all the time.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

I think 2007todate was considering using the motorway all the way, i.e. http://tinyurl.com/zha34t4 which is the longest by quite a distance. Personally I would go on the first of the options in no. 8 which would not involve purchasing a Czech vignette, although it might be useful to get one anyway.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,247 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bratislava to Zlin

Right, then he will need the sticker.

Reply to: Bratislava to Zlin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zlin