We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mistral

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
mistral

The "beyond.fr" site says the Mistral blows mostly in the spring, but it also warns about fall storms. We will be visiting L'Isle de la Sorgue either next spring or fall. Would it be better to take a chance on the Mistral in the spring - it can last for days sometimes, right? Or these "storms" in the fall?????? Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mistral

I think you should go in the spring cos it's nicer, and not worry about the Mistral, which I have experienced in both June and September.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mistral

The mistral can blow at any given time. Where I live, winter is the absolute worst. I agree that Spring is likely the best time as things will be blooming and fresh. I love Fall too, but by then, where I live, most of the grass will be dead due to ongoing drought problems and water usage restrictions. It can still be very nice, as there are fewer tourists, but Spring is fresher.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mistral

Thanks so much for the prompt advice given by both responses. It certainly seems that spring is the time to go. I will just have to take my chances with the mistral. I will have a car during the trip, so that is part of the reason I'm wary of this famous wind! Anyone else care to weigh in on this?????

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mistral

Usually, when the Mistral blows it is just a wind like any other but,occasionally, when pressure is very high over northern Europe and low over the Med, it comes screaming down the valley of the Rhone, battering everything in its path. The biggest temperature and pressure gradients happen in winter but, even in June, weather reports sometimes mention un petit Mistral.

5. Re: mistral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 11:18