We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice , Avignon, Aix en Provence, Marseille

San Diego
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Nice , Avignon, Aix en Provence, Marseille

Hello to all,

I am in the proceess of planning a trip for my husband's and my own 40th Birthday. If any one out there could help me fill in some details I would appreciate it. We will be travelling in Late September, early October 2010.

Marseille- 1 night

Avignon- 2 nights (wineries Chateauneuf du Pape)

Aix En Provence- 2 nights

Nice- 3 nights

Barcelona- 5 nights

I am all set for lodging, I just would like to know what are the must do's of the areas we plan to visit.

Thanks,

Murphy's Mom

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Vaucluse, France
Aix-en-Provence
Aix-en-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice , Avignon, Aix en Provence, Marseille

There is a great deal of good sightseeing in the areas you'll be visiting. You might want to pick up a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Provence and check out the recommendations. Is there some reason for spending a night in Marseille? Nice as that city is, there are more interesting places to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice , Avignon, Aix en Provence, Marseille

May I second Catullus suggestion of the green guides, particularly the driving itineraries which prioritize the principal locations by overall importance. Ir will really aid in making the most of the valuable vacation time you have available.

I also second the suggestion of removing your one night in Marseille and placing it elsewhere. Marseille is not much more than 30-40 minutes from Aix-en-Provence so the argument of spending one night there is not as compelling as it might otherwise be. Even Cassis is easily reached from Aix.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Aix-en-Provence
Aix-en-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Cassis
Cassis
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
San Diego
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice , Avignon, Aix en Provence, Marseille

Our flight arrives in Marseille early in the morning after an overnighter from the US. I figured we would be too tired to venture far on the first day. this will give us time to nap, get the rental car and get our bearings before we head out the next morning.

Do you happen to have a list of wineries that do tastings in the Chateauneuf du Pape region?I can't seem to find anything that does not involve a tour guide.

I have ordered the Michelin guide, thanks for the advice, any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

Murphys Mom

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Vaucluse, France
UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice , Avignon, Aix en Provence, Marseille

I would put in a vote for St Remy de Provence, l'Isle sur la Sorgue, Arles and the Luberon as places to visit during your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Remy-de-Provence
Saint-Remy-de-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Vaucluse, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Luberon
Luberon
Vaucluse, France
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice , Avignon, Aix en Provence, Marseille

You'll be so excited to arrive that you'll definitely be able to drive for an hour or two to get somewhere more fun than Marseille. Plus, don't most hotels not let you check in before noon anyway?

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
6. Re: Nice , Avignon, Aix en Provence, Marseille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 10:18
;