We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,612 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

I just returned from a job fair in Cambridge. Although I'd been to Boston a couple times before, this was my first trip across the river. Had a wonderful time exploring Harvard Square and visiting the fantastic natural history museum, eating, and drinking Sam Adams beer (Ecuadorian beer is light and not too good). I also managed an afternoon exploring the North End in Boston.

I was mightily impressed with the helpfulness and friendliness of the locals. Maybe my colleague and I looked like clueless rubes, but it seemed every time we stopped to get our bearings someone would come up and ask if we needed help. Restaurant service was always good. Taxi drivers were polite. The hotel shuttle driver was especially fun and informative from his unique point of view.

An old friend in Weston always complains about how rude people are there, but I didn't find that at all. Thanks for a great visit.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

Thanks for a lovely post! Can you share any specifics as to hotel accommodations and restaurants you tried out?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,612 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

I stayed at the Cambridge Hyatt Regency. I was a bit dubious after reading the reviews but it´s undergone renovation and was really nice. Its Zephyr restaurant was outrageously expensive, though. I´ll be posting a review of the Hyatt.

We tried to eat at Neptune Oyster at the behest of the Zephyr´s manager, but it was closed for a special event. We ate twice at Legal Seafoods (at the Charles Hotel and in Cambridge) because I knew it was reliably good. We even ate one more time at their ¨test kitchen¨ at Logan! We enjoyed Mr. Bartley´s Burgers (sorry, can´t remember precise name), and a fantastic meal at the Grafton St. Pub. A Vietnamese restaurant in a sort of ¨food court¨ on Dunston was so-so, as was an Irish pub at Quincy market. There were just ´waaay too many restaurants to try--the aromas in the North End were driving us crazy but we were too full from lunch. Too bad the job fair was impeding on our dining adventures!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

thanks for posting, looking forward to reading your review!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

Thanks for the nice post.

I find that people give back what they get. If your friend complains about rude people, perhaps she should adjust her approach.

Most people in Cambridge and Boston are very nice.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

I'm glad you had a good time and were treated well. The whole " people from _____are rude" thing is so subjective and people who refer to strangers as such with no details make me automatically side with the "rude" person.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,612 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

My friend is the personification of courtesy and ladylike behavior. How we got to be such good friends is a mystery :=)

7. Re: Thank you, Cambridge and Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 13:34
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge