We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
926 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

I've noticed that the T line might not be right at Logan terminal, but Google maps shows it to be an 18 minute walk. I'm thinking about a cab to the Blue line station. It then says to take the Green line from Gov't center to the Park St. station and then the red line towards Alewife getting off at Central square, a total of 49 minutes.

The plane gets in at 2:10 and I should be able to make it to St. Mary's by 4 pm Mass, right? I had thought about St. Paul's but that is 5 pm and I'd rather go earlier if possible.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

Massport shuttle bus will take you to the blue line so there is no need to get in to a cab.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

Silver line to South Station and then Red line to Central seems simpler.

From Central Square, it's a little more than 2 blocks, maybe 5 minutes walk. When you exit to the street on Mass Ave., find Prospect Street (the main cross street of the Square, with a Starbucks on the corner, direction away from the visible spired church). Turn down Prospect and walk on the right side, passing a small row of shops. In the second block, on the other side of Prospect Street, you will pass a Whole Foods supermarket next to the Christ the King Presbyterian Church, after which you turn right down Harvard Street, pass St. Bart's on the left, looking for St. Mary's on the right.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

Silver Line to South Station for an Alewife train on the Red Line is MUCH simpler.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
926 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

Thanks for all your help. I'm looking forward to my first trip to Cambridge-Boston.

Any good restaurants (seafood) in the area or should we head to the north end? Thanks again.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

Don't use google maps for subway directions in Boston.

Use http://www.mbta.com

www.mbta.com estimates 51 minutes using the silver/red line options already suggested. I used a 2:30pm departure from Terminal B logan airport on Saturday may 21st. (Day makes a difference, the T runs a different schedule on weekends than it does on weekdays). Heres is what I got:

Silver Line South Station

2:42 PM Depart from Terminal B Stop 1

3:03 PM Arrive at So Station Silver Line (inbound)

Take Red Line - Alewife To Central Sq - Outbound

Approx. 3:13 PM Depart from South Station - Inbound

Approx. 3:22 PM Arrive at Central Sq - Outbound

Walk For 11 Mins. To 134 Norfolk St Cambridge Ma

Walk a short distance SE on Massachusetts Ave.

Turn left on Essex St.

Walk approx. 2 blocks NE on Essex St.

Turn right on Harvard St.

Walk approx. 1 block SE on Harvard St.

Turn right on Norfolk St.

Walk a short distance SW on Norfolk St.

Another option might be St Anthony's Shrine in downtown Boston. It would be less than a 10 minute walk from South Station and they have several masses on Sat afternoon and Sunday morning.

http://www.stanthonyshrine.org/mass.asp

And there's other Boston options ...

Is there a reason why you want to attend Mass in Cambridge?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

The walking directions I gave are IMO easier to follow (using main streets and not secondary ones), and don't mean any longer walk. Which direction is SE? Finding Prospect Street as you emerge from the subway is easy.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

tcantarelli -- I'm sure you are right. I don't know much about Central Square beyond the location of city hall, Toscanini's and a few restaurants.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
926 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

I'm thinking my hotel is near Alewife station and since the plane gets in at 2:30 I should be able to get to St. Mary's by 4 pm and then to the hotel. It'll be a shorter last trip than staying around for a Mass at 4 pm at St. Anthony's

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

Sorry if I missed your flight details. If you are arriving into Terminal E, I don't think you will clear customs in time to catch that silver line bus, that forgot was so nice to post for you.

I would be ready to put plan b into action if you get out of customs after this time, which is to get a cab.

It has been a while since I have been to Mass at Saint Mary's. I remember the sermon starting at 4:15 p.m. The Masses at this church can be quick.

Exit to the left when leaving customs and this will bring you to the cab stand.

I think you should stick with Saint Pauls. Nicer church imho and you will no doubt get there in time via the T.

Edited: 18 May 2011, 23:28
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Revising plans: Logan to St. Mary's on Norfolk St.

If your hotel (Tria?) is near Alewife, you could also consider St. John's on Mass. Ave., which is pretty close.

http://www.stjohncambridge.4lpi.com/

From the Alewife T, it could be walked (straight down Rindge Ave. to Mass Ave.).