We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cambridge hyatt or marriott??

Brookeville
9 posts
Save Topic
cambridge hyatt or marriott??

I will be visiting cambridge and boston on a college roadtrip with 17 year old son next week. I was going to stay in cambridge as it is cheaper than downtown Boston. Which hotel is nicer/better.......Cambridge Hyatt Regency or Cambridge Marriott??

thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Tour of Historic Fenway Park...
45 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
127 Reviews
from US$56.00*
US$59.00
Guided Bike Tour of Boston
123 Reviews
from US$57.75*
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cambridge hyatt or marriott??

Will you be driving to the area? If not then between the two, I would pick the Cambridge Marriott since it is close to public transportation.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Brookeville
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cambridge hyatt or marriott??

yes, i will have a rental car. but should i still use public transportation? also, i am taking my son to see emerson college and boston univ. how far are these from cambridge? thanks.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cambridge hyatt or marriott??

Will you be renting the car here or will you already have it? If you are renting the car here then skip the rental and stay at The Marriott. If you already have the rental and since you are coming in the summer than both hotels will be OK. Parking at BU should not be a problem if there is not a Red Sox game at Fenway, since school is out. BU is just over the River from Cambridge. For Emerson you can park in the Boston Common garage or try to find a meter. Both universities will be easy to get to by public transportation and it's usually the preferred method.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,251 Reviews
Boston, MA
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston Common
Boston Common
5,487 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cambridge hyatt or marriott??

I would contact both hotels and check what they charge for parking. Parking can be very expensive in Boston and Cambridge especially overnight.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cambridge hyatt or marriott??

Agree 100%. You don't need a car to get from the Marriott to BU or Emerson. Plus it will give your son an idea of what he'll be dealing with as a student at either of these schools.

Also, cambridge isn't usally significantly cheaper than Boston. However, I just checked lastminutetravel.com, using dates 6/22-6/25 and nothing of substance came up ... the "good ones" are all "on request" so perhaps there's a convention or something going it.

If you really need a car, then you could probably save signficant money by staying outside the city and driving to a subway station and commuting to the schools that way.

I'm 99% sure that you'll pay to park your car at both the Mariott and Hyatt. In Boston ... the Boston Common Garage charges $8 for one hour $12, for 1-2 hours, $16 for 2-3 hours and $22 for 3-10 hours ... so you will be paying to park if you drive in to the city.

If you want to go other places ... there's outdoor lots for less money and there's the outrageous Government Center Garage which charges $15 for 40 minutes or less and quickly maxes out at $35/day if you stay more than 1hr 40 minutes.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 22:48
Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston Common
Boston Common
5,487 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cambridge hyatt or marriott??

Both are nice hotels, the hyatt a little nicer. The Mariott no doubt has better access to transportation, shopping, eating and Boston.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
7. Re: cambridge hyatt or marriott??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge