We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harvard Square parking meters

Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Harvard Square parking meters

Can you advise me on current meter rules? Moving my son into an apartment on Plympton St, just off the Square next week. What hours are the meters enforced? Are they enforced on Sundays? I can purchase a visitor permit from Harvard for their permit-only lots for $5 per weekend day and will do this for Saturday but not sure about Sunday. Weekday permits are $13. Since meters are only good for 2 hr slots, that doesn't sound like a bad price. What do you think?

Or...do you think meter parking will be easy to find because it's August?? Thanks for the local expertise!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

And one more follow-up....I'm back after a second weekend of moving into the apt, and I can say again that I didn't need the permits. There were many available parking spots on the side streets close by. I'm sure the big student move-in isn't for another week or two. I only used the permit on Saturday to avoid having to move the car every 2 hours until 8pm. Other than that, I just parked, paid the meter machines, and moved after 2 hrs to find another space. Ironically, I was ticketed 1 night even though I had paid enough to get me past 8pm. I'm sure the parking officer made an error, because my receipt on the dashboard showed when my time expired, and the violation time didn't match up, so I'm disputing the ticket online.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

I don't know about Cambridge, but in Boston you have to move the car after two hours to another block. If you move it within the same block, you will get a ticket.

Hope you're successful in your appeal. For the relative inexpensiveness of the permits, they do seem worth it, as opposed to paying a meter and moving the car every two hours. Glad it (almost) worked out well for you.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

I find it is never worth going to court for a parking ticket. You can write a nice detailed note on why you should not have received the ticket, or call. Both have worked and not worked for me.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

There was no indication that the car had to move to another block. I think it was simply an error in reading my meter receipt. I'm sure not going to make a trip back there to fight the ticket in court. If they don't dismiss it, I'll just suck it up and pay it. The fine is less than it would cost me in gas :/

I should point out that the parking permits for my weekdays in Cambridge were $13/day and they were a considerable walk from my son's apt, which is why I paid the meters and moved the car as needed. (The weekends were only $5/day.) The permits were my backup plan if I had been unable to find parking close by :)

Also, I liked the convenience of the parking machines on Linden St and Plympton St. They accepted credit cards, so no need to have a whole lotta quarters in hand.

Edited: 16 August 2011, 23:04
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

Aren't parking meter machines great? I love not having to find change.

There are no signs in Boston indicating that you have to move your car to another area or risk a ticket either. But the parking enforcers come around and punch in your license number into their hand-held devices. Then two hours later, if the car is still in the same block (or area), you can be ticketed. They don't even check your parking receipt--they know you've been there over two (or whatever limit) hours.

I was just suggesting the possibility that this is what may have happened.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

Seriously?? That would be a major bummer. And totally unfair w/o stating the conditions on the street signs, especially for an out-of-state driver, don't you think? Thanks for clarifying that -- I'll be prepared now to hear that my dispute goes nowhere. Oh well.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

Here's a very informative link: …cambridgema.gov/traffic/parkingmeters.cfm

You can go so far as to click on the Traffic Viewer, plug in metered parking and you see spots outlined on particular streets. Wow!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

One final follow-up on that parking ticket. Ting - you were right. My dispute was denied. You do have to move from the "area" when time is up, altho I'm not sure how far the "area" extends. I guess it could be the whole block. I paid the ticket online. Still think it's unfair though. There was no indication that moving the car w/in the block to another space and paying again would be illegal. Lesson learned.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

timetocruise, sorry to hear about the end result of your ticket. Thanks for letting us know. At least you'll know all too well about this in the years to come. Good luck to your son. Hope he's enjoying school.

20. Re: Harvard Square parking meters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 12:18