We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday meal

dorset
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday meal

Hi, we will be in richmond in two weeks time for one night, a Monday. It will be a big birthday for my husband. We will be staying at the Hampton inn Richmond Downtown and would like somewhere not to far from there..

Any suggestions would be welcome. We like mist types of food nut would prefer to eat local Fayre..

Many thanks Diane

7 replies to this topic
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday meal

You have several excellent choices within walking distance of your hotel. Downtown has a lot of restaurants open on Monday nights when many in other parts of town are closed.

Bistro Bobette is within walking distance in one direction, and is a great place for a birthday celebration. Classic French bistro. What they show on the menu online is only part of what is available because they always have many daily specials based on what's available on that day. Tell them it's a birthday and they will treat you right.

http://bistrobobette.com/

My next choice would be Juleps, in the opposite direction. Also open on Mondays, it's Southern meets French, and has a great bar and excellent food. They will also have some daily specials.

http://juleps.net/

There are others, but these are my top two picks. You cannot go wrong with either one.

dorset
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday meal

Thank you 22Tango for the speed reply. I’d actually saved Juleps into my trip so I will add Bistro Bobette. The other one I looked at was the Tobacco Company Restaurant. Do you have any knowledge about this one? at least one I have a few choices. Thanks again. Diane

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday meal

Tobacco Company has been closed for some time due to a fire, and the owners are not currently saying if or when they will re-open. It would not have made my top 5 list.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
476 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday meal

I agree with 22 Tango's choices - I would just add if you are here for lunch, Secret Sandwich Society is really good as well. And Tarrant's Cafe has an amazing crab soup.

dorset
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday meal

Thank you for that information. I found it by searching on trip advisor for nearby restaurants. The other two you have recommended look good.

Diane

dorset
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday meal

Aw, thanks for that. Crab soup is one of my favourites

Diane

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday meal

Sorry to be a dissenting cvoice, but I would not recommend Bistro Bobette. Food was average. Good, not great. Service was horrible, in fact a neighboring table who arrived after us, ended up leaving after sitting there being ignored for 25 minutes. My escargots literally exploded. Yes, exploded in a burst of hot butter and oil all over me and the table, and the only reaction from staff was "sorry, let me put a new bistro paper *over* the mess".

I could go on and on, but Richmond has so many other good restaurants near your hotel. Rappahannock Oyster Company, Comfort, Tarrants, so many options.

Good luck and have fun.

Reply to: Birthday meal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Richmond