We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opticians

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Opticians

Whats Malta like for good Opticians. Need to change my glasses and im wondering if its worth waiting.

11 replies to this topic
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opticians

Opticians - there are a lot of them. Depending on the complexity of your prescription and quality of lens, thinned, light sensitive etc, it's not necessarily that cheap here.

You have the benefit of using the Euro so won't see the GBP crash issue.

Bugibba, Malta
Destination Expert
for Bugibba
Level Contributor
704 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Opticians

I'm no doctor but if you need your glasses to see I'd get them instead of walking about blind.

I hope this helps ;)

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opticians

No help at all....I was enquiring about getting lenses etc cheaper than at home. Of course I wont be walking around BLIND...

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opticians

Thanks for that. Im used to topping up contact lens etc in Turkey for a tenth of the price at home but it seems I wont do as well in Malta.

Inverness
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opticians

I've used a couple of opticians in Malta. One gave a really lousy eye test. I don't think standards and technology are what you might be used to in British high street chains. Also, there doesn't see to be much in terms of 2 for 1 deals. On the plus side, service is reasonably quick.

Delmenhorst, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opticians

How did it cost a glasses with progressive lenses?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opticians

Do you mean varifocals ? Mine were €330 plus frame, plus eye test. They are top of the range, thinned and light sensitive.

Edited: 18 September 2017, 18:58
STEVENAGE
Level Contributor
728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opticians

This is where i get my beauties from (contact lenses)

www.visiondirect.co.uk/Contact+Lenses/Buy+Online

Blinding (ha ha) but seriously this lot are the best. Cheap as chips and next day delivery. All you need is your perscription and away you go and they deliver all over the world (took 3 days door to door Xlendi). None of that £40/month Specsavers rip off stuff that STILL charge you to have an eye test and if you say "no" they cancel your supply leaving you stuffed!

Holiday makers? A box of good daily disposables £10 enough for two weeks easily!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,747 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opticians

The price of glasses is something that really makes me mad.

Appart from the lens`s you are talking about a little mainly plastic thing.

I would be willing to bet that the Chinese could manufacture them for about 5p each .

Fill a container with hundreds of thousand , a few grand transport cost and they would arrive in UK for 10 p each.to be sold for several thousand percent profit.

What a rip off.

Graham

10. Re: Opticians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2017, 07:05

Reply to: Opticians
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Qawra
Recent Conversations