We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon resort?

DC
Level Contributor
27 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
honeymoon resort?

Hello - I posted earlier on the Kauai forum. We're looking to do our honeymoon July 18-28 this year and are looking to split our time between Kauai and Maui. I got a couple of recommendations for the Grand Wailea, but then read some reviews that it's overrun by kids. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel/resort in Wailea (on the beach preferably) that caters more to couples? I appreciate all tips and suggestions as I've never been to Hawaii! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
402 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf...
7,088 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
1,204 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Turtle Reef Kayak Tour
54 Reviews
from US$79.57*
Free Cancellation
South Maui Kayak and Snorkel Tour...
10 Reviews
from US$85.00*
Free Cancellation
Kayak and Snorkel - South Shore Turtle
31 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Free Cancellation
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon resort?

For those with $$$$ to spend you could go to the Four Seasons. The Fairmont is also in Wailea. For those with $$ to spend you might want to check out the Makena Beach and Golf Resort, about 10 min. south of the Four Seasons, in Makena!!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
1,204 Reviews
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
794 Reviews
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,332 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon resort?

Have you considered The Ritz in Kapalua? That would be my pick in summer months.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,311 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon resort?

I'm a big fan of the Ritz too but its not in Wailea. Kapula is so gorgeous especially during the summer months. If I were to do it over again (a honeymoon that is) I would choose Ritz and St Regis on Kauai. That is of course if money was no object. Oh and I would throw in a few days at The Four Seasons on Lana'i for good measure.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
1,204 Reviews
Maui, HI
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville...
3,050 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
244 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon resort?

I second the Four Seasons in Maui. There might be some kids, but there will be more at the Grand Wailea. Even with kids, the 4 Seasons is just so lovely. It would be a wonderful honeymoon spot.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
7,088 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon resort?

What is your nightly budget? Sounds like you have 10 days, with 2 being travel days? I'm not sure you will want to do both islands in that amount of time on your honeymoon. But if you decide to, I agree with the St. Regis on Kauai and the Makena on Maui. The Makena is on the best beach with the least people, but their pool scene is not great. Just depends on what you want. I would stay away from the Grand Wailea in the summer when all the kiddies are out of school.

Mentioned in this post
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville...
3,050 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
794 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
7,088 Reviews
Maui, HI
DC
Level Contributor
27 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon resort?

Thanks for all the comments so far!! We do not have a nightly budget, but are hoping to stay around $8K-$9K for everything (flights, hotel, etc). For our stay on Kauai, I've gotten some suggestions to try the North shore, but while looking at the Koa Kea they actually have a prety good honeymoon package which includes breakfast, rental car, one dinner, and a massage all of that is $3565 for 5 nights... that seems like a really good deal to me seeing as just the rental car could be $200. Farecast is showing to wait on airline prices as they should be dropping - they're currently at about $1100 for airfare from WAS to Kauai, Kauai to Maui, and then Maui back to WAS.

I have looked at the four seasons and it seems out of our price range. We were thinking for our stay in Maui we could stay in a more basic room at the beginning and then splurge on a nicer oceanfront or luxury room for the last couple nights.

If it helps, I think we're probably going to want to chill out while on Kauai (since it will be right after the wedding) and do more excursions on Maui. I've heard a lot of good things about the road to hana and the sunrise on Haleakana (sp??). I guess what we're looking for is a nice hotel, not too overrun by kids, that also allows us to do some sight seeing and activities around the island.... haha I don't know if there's one ideal place that encompasses all that :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,347 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon resort?

It's going to be tough in the summer because it seems everybody takes their kids to Hawaii these days. You'd think staying in the most expensive resort on an island would be more adults only, but they are not. I think it has more to do with the pools. That's why I suggested the Makena on Maui...the pool area is terrible. There are resorts that have adults only pools if you like the idea of lounging around then pool all day...Four Seasons, Kea Lani to name 2, but for wonderful secluded beach time, the Makena would be your best bet.

I would not switch hotels while on Maui, for the same reasons I mentioned you might want to think about only one island on this trip, plus it's disruptive to the flow. Even if you don't take our advice aboutnall of this, you'll get it once you get there. Hawaii is not a place to race around and do...rather it's a place to slow down and feel.

Have you looked at Lanai? My perception is it is off the radar of families with kids.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 00:20
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
794 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,806 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: honeymoon resort?

Do you want to be in Wailea? I would think West Maui would be better for a honeymoon especially in summer. Look at the Ritz Carlton first and then maybe the Hyatt Regency.

If you really want Wailea and the Four Seasons is too much, the Fairmont is a great choice too.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
1,204 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
3,710 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: honeymoon resort?

Scottca, I have stayed at both and they have fab pools so, you guessed it, kid magnet. If it was winter, maybe, although the Hyatt is a little dated and I don't like the beach and the Ritz is set too far back from the ocean and I don't like the vibe. Plus, in winter months, I like going farther south.

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: honeymoon resort?

Four Seasons Maui. It now has an adult pool that is off by itself. The lounge chairs away from the main pool overlooking the bay are very quite and private. The food is also much better at FS. The lobby bar area at FS is much more charming than GW or Kea Lani.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii