We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to avoid in Albuquerque

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
45 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Areas to avoid in Albuquerque

Dear Trip Advisor members,

I will be traveling to Albuquerque in October for work and are currently searching for hotels to stay. Are there certain areas in Albuquerque that a single female should avoid staying? I will not have a rental car so will rely on taxis and possibly public transportation if the system is sound. My work will mostly be around UNM and the Community College of NM, but I am also looking into going to the Sawmill area to get a workout in.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to avoid in Albuquerque

The "Student Ghetto" near UNM has mostly monthly rentals... The further down Central Ave. to the East ,the rougher it gets... I suspect there are several AIRBnB hosts in the area... carracar

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
461 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to avoid in Albuquerque

Visiting ABQ without a car can be differcult for a visitor. ABQ does offer public transportation but its not big as a major city. Maybe you can invest in a bicycle. ABQ is very bike friendly and has many bike trails to get you around town. If possible try to stay in or near Nob HIll. This area will be your best bet. It's very trendy and pretty close to UNM. Plenty of places to eat and lots of room to rent. Central is a rough place all together and this is where UNM is located near however, it's not all bad. I personally won't stay East past Nob Hill on Central.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to avoid in Albuquerque

How long will you be in town? Are you looking for hotel or longer term option?

There is decent bus line that runs along Central and will get you to both UNM and CNM [Central NM Comm College].

The Hyatt or Anduluz would work, Doubletree is a couple blocks more of a walk.

I have no idea what Sawmill is??

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to avoid in Albuquerque

The area of UNM has a few motels and such that you can use. The sawmill area is a historic area but somewhat out of the way. If you want to get some workouts in, check out UNM's Jonson Gym. They have a ton of clases of anything you can think of and it is right on campus. Welcome to NM.

5. Re: Areas to avoid in Albuquerque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 13:21