We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Salem, MA

2 posts
Driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Salem, MA

Hello, my family and i will be driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Salem, MA November 8, 2018 around 8:00 PM (our daughter who will be almost a year old will be with us, we are going to leave right before her bedtime in hopes she'll sleep through the night) and drive through the night does anyone have any ideas as the best route and where to stop if needed? (we were hoping for no tolls) and then when we come home we were leaving on 11/12/18 around 9 or 10 and obviously our daughter won't be sleeping the whole time so we were looking for places to stop on the way back with her as well. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

12 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
39 reviews
11. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Salem, MA

The other good thing about the Mass Turnpike is that it has rest areas with bathrooms, gas pumps, food. Not sure how late the food is available, but at least they are places to stop safely, and take a rest stop.

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
12. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Salem, MA

I agree with fflbrgst. My son is at Pitt, so we drove to Pittsburgh couple of times from West of Boston. Take all Interstate highways, I-80->81->84->90->95 works best. If you want to avoid toll, you still have to take I-90 (which is toll way-Mass Pike) but for just a little bit and take 290 and then 495 North. From 495, you can take Rt.2 or Rt.3 to reach 95. This will add 30-45 minutes at least.

Also, when we were driving back last week from Pitt, someone told us that in upstate NY, off of I-84, at Hudson river, there is a beautiful walk near Newburgh town at the end of Rt.17K with lot of good restaurants. West Point Military school is close by too.

Reply to: Driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Salem, MA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salem