We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best view of 4th of July fireworks?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Best view of 4th of July fireworks?

Any and all suggestions for the best place to view the fireworks at Port of Friday Harbor are much appreciated. Reasons for your suggestion (eg. Restrooms!) would be a huge help. Thanks!

- G.

5 replies to this topic
San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Best view of 4th of July fireworks?

Most tourists to our island watch the fireworks right down at the piers in town as they are shot off from a barge right there in the bay. There are public bathrooms at the end of the pier with the clock (short pier Clipper boat docks at) or the marina pier at the long T section of the pier right next to the water. Bathrooms there are a bit further away near the marina offices. Bring towels or cushions to sit on as pier is made of concrete or wood depending on where you sit. Another option is the U of W marine labs land which they do allow people to be at for the fireworks and lots of locals go there as it has grass to sit on. It's just opposite side of bay from FH piers but there are no public bathrooms available and it's dark so be sure to bring a flashlight so you can find your way in the dark afterwards. From labs land you can see a bit of the Lopez fireworks too if you go way out the the furthest lawn part. We watch them from our own property and can see both so I haven't been to either of the for-mentioned for years but I know it's the same as of last year's fireworks.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Best view of 4th of July fireworks?

Awesome! Thank you!

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Best view of 4th of July fireworks?

You're welcome. Be sure to check out the "big" parade we have in town that morning and also the picnic over at the SJ historical museum grounds.

Be sure to make your lodging bookings ASAP as July 4th is especially popular time to visit for tourists (and also your ferry reservations if you are bringing a car....the reservations are not released all at once but in batches so if you can't get one now try back on the dates WSDOT has for releasing additional reservations. If you want to wait till "last minute" then be online at 7am two days before you want to come and book it then (compete with the locals then so do go online at 7). Here's more info on that subject....

The WA state ferry ride out to the San Juan’s is beautiful and you pass right by many rural, heavily wooded islands on the way. Here is an image taken from a airplane that shows the route the ferry takes: gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ac1394dbdcca6a36cbf4866… The large snow covered mountain shown in that picture is Mount Baker which is in the Cascade Mountain Range. If you do drive to Anacortes here is a lot of information in detail about the Anacortes ferry terminal and how to get there: …wa.gov/ferries/… A prudent traveler would want to check the ferry alerts online the day of their traveling in case there are any ferry changes or weather or mechanical problems: wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedule/bulletin.aspx Be sure to note that you must be *at the ticket kiosk entering the holding area for vehicles* at least 30 minutes before the ferry is scheduled to depart for your reservation to be held. At the Anacortes ferry landing you'll find enough to do around the rural located terminal while you wait for your ferry. Grassy trails lead down to the nearby beach and through the shoreline wetlands. You can get something at the small gift shop, buy drinks and snacks, walk your dog in the dog-walk area and on the beach, relax at a picnic table, or go online using the terminal's wireless Internet service (which has a fee) and on a clear day (about 70% of the time it seems) you can see a great view of Mt Baker right from the ferry terminal holding lot.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Best view of 4th of July fireworks?

Thanks so much Drifting_clouds!

I'm helping a friend from New Zealand reach someone in Friday Harbor. Since time is of the essence, we're arriving via Kenmore Air. I just booked my accommodations (ouch) at Orca Inn (all I need is a bed), and reserved a car (...again, ouch). While I'm here, can you tell me if we will deplane at Port of Friday Harbor, and if so, is it an easy walk to M & W car rental at Spring and Airport Center?

Again, thanks! There will be another visit later this summer, so I saved your ferry related information. Stay excellent!

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Best view of 4th of July fireworks?

Yes the Kenmore planes land in the bay near Friday Harbor. You can walk to M&W from there as it's just down Spring Street (our main street) from the dock where Kenmore ties up next to the boats. Google maps says the walk is 0.7 of a mile and takes 15 minutes to walk. See their map for this at https://www.google.com.mx/maps/dir/Port+of+Friday+Harbor,+Washington+98250,+USA/M+%26+W+Auto+Sales+%26+Rentals,+Spring+Street,+Friday+Harbor,+WA,+USA/@48.533877,-123.0241687,16z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x548f7e62de656a8b:0xa61990609b3d3da6!2m2!1d-123.01518!2d48.5367662!1m5!1m1!1s0x548f7e8eec22bab5:0xe547df90f66c97e7!2m2!1d-123.025098!2d48.530988!3e2

Reply to: Best view of 4th of July fireworks?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor