We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december

Hi, we leave Las Vegas on the 15th. Have 1 night (12/15) booked GC. My plan was to drive out the east rim road on 64 & drive to Flagstaff the next day. Spend 2 nights in Flagstaff (16&17) with a day trip to Sedona on the 17th. On the 18th drive via Bearizona & a bit of Route 66 back toward LA, stopping a night somewhere enroute. We fly home from LA late on the 21st.

Some snow is forecast for the 16th & 17th. I have no experience driving in the snow. Not sure if I should modify our plans or hotel bookings ( we can cancel up to 48 hours before). We would be very excited to see snow for the first time , & My teens have really been looking forward to Bearizona. Also should ask the rental car company if I can swap to snow tyres in Vegas ? Not even sure if they will do that..

Any advice would be appreciated ...thanks in advance.

Lisa

6 replies to this topic
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december

>> Also should ask the rental car company if I can swap to snow tyres in Vegas ?

No, they definitely won't put snow tires on. If you've reserved a small car, you might be more comfortable in an SUV. Even the smaller ones, like the Ford Escape, will be more stable in snow. In general, heavier cars and bigger tires help.

Flagstaff is ski country and at a much higher elevation than Sedona -- 7K vs 4K. Chance of snow is going to be much higher in Flagstaff. Unless you're planning to be there to ski, I would consider staying in Sedona instead if you're nervous about the snow.

You say you're going back to LA -- which is Los Angeles -- but I assume you meant Las Vegas?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december

The current forecast is for snow showers with less than an inch in accumulation. Flagstaff knows how to deal with snow and plows will be out. Good idea to request an SUV or all wheel drive vehicle. You should be fine with your visit to Bearizona on the 18th. Not sure which hotel you have booked in Flagstaff but most only require a cancellation the day before and many just the day of before 6pm. There is plenty to choose from. Sedona would be a good alternative if you really think the snow will have a negative impact on your visit. Personally I love seeing snow :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december

The forecast I've seen includes a 30% chance of snow/rain. Certainly not bad enough to cancel your plan. Do not drive at night. And if snow is falling and accumulating, get off the road and take shelter until the storm passes. This is not a major weather threat at this time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december

Thank you DTF, I actually have a massive big sedan (well big for Aussie standards), so hopefully it will be ok.

I actually had originally booked a hotel for 2 nights at Sedona but only changed for logistics ( shorter day driving from GC & shorter day driving when we leave & visit Bearizona). Maybe I will change back to plan A...

Driving back to & flying out of LA . I know, 2 big driving days on the way back, not looking forward to it. Thanks for your advice. Regards Lisa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december

Thanks aztchr, we would LOVE to see snow too. Saw a few tiny bits today at the top of Palm Springs Aerial Tramway & the kids were so excited! As long as I can drive okay I think a bit of snow will have a huge positive impact on the holiday.

I booked hotels through a booking website so I may try & see if they will take direct bookings with a shorter cancellation.

Thanks for replying. Maybe I'm overthinking it.. an inch doesn't sound like much as long as I take it on easy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december

Thanks RedRox

Reply to: Weather forecast for 15,16,17 december
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flagstaff