We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

We're flying into Phoenix and then heading to the Grand Canyon for camping and need to pick up a few things on the way. Does anyone know if the Walmart in Flagstaff carries small cookstove canisters such as MSR? Or where to find them if Walmart doesnt? We're flying in too early to visit REI in Phoenix. Thanks for any advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

There are two Walmarts in Flag, I've bought gas canisters in the one on Huntington Drive before (I40, exit 198). I would imagine the other one by the I40/I17 junction has them too. Flagstaff Sports Exchange and Flagstaff Mountain Sports should also have them. Many of the larger gas stations will have them, plus there's also an REI in town not too far from the Amtrak station.

Finally, you should also be able to buy them in the market at Grand Canyon Village, personally I would buy them before getting there though just in case they're out.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

The Market at the South Rim will have them. I've never known them to be out. They have a pretty good gear department.

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

Thanks, all. Just to be clear, Im talking about the short red ones, not the tall green ones, is this what you refered to? (although I did just buy a base that will make the tall green ones stable enough to use standing up, if I cant find a short one). Im asking because on a trip to Banff this summer we weren't able to find any short ones.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

I assumed you meant isobutane canisters, for backpacking stoves, with a Lindal valve, generally 4 or 8oz canisters. The green tall ones are propane, with a different valve, not interchangeable.

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

It's isopro, an 80/20 blend of isobutane and propane. Small red cannisters, MSR brand is what we usually buy. Cheaper than isobutane, which is what we ended up buying in Banff.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

"IsoPro" is MSR's product name for it. Different companies have slightly different blends but, overall, people call them isobutane canisters. They add propane so that it will vaporize at lower temps and maintain pressure as the canister empties. Key thing is that they all have Lindal valves, which makes them standard and interchangeable. The valve on the 1lb green propane tanks are different.

I've seen MSR and Snow Peak isobutane canisters at the Market. You can call them and ask about stock and brands: 928-638-2262

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

Thanks! We've been using our little stove for years without paying much attention to the fuel. Supply was never was an issue until this summer when we camped on a very busy weekend. Since we'll be camping Columbus day weekend I thought I'd better scout out a supply before we got there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

I know what you mean muchan5, the big green Coleman canisters have a different thread that doesn't fit the small backpacking stoves such as the Pocket Rocket. I always need the small ones too and FWIW, this is always what I've been after when buying in the places I mentioned above. You should be able to pick them up at any of those locations!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

If you feel better having it before you get to the canyon, there are many options in Flagstaff, aside from WalMart:

Peace Surplus

REI

Big 5 Sporting Goods

Sportsmans Warehouse

... to name a few options which may work for you.

Here is a link to a map of these and more options: https://goo.gl/CQeMZU

10. Re: Where to buy small pocket rocket fuel canister

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2017, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Flagstaff