We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming spots in the Valley

11 posts
Swimming spots in the Valley
Save

hello,

I wanted to know which areas of the Valley are good for parking to swim or wade into the water. I know parking may be a toss up, however biking isn't an option for us as someone in our party doesn't know how to ride a bike. Unfortunate!

In a previous post I found, someone said:

1) Swinging bridge

2) The poster also said "If you're parked at Curry Village, you could walk over to the Merced River to swim or float https://goo.gl/maps/7zXxZoA6YgtKVi2z9 "

My party is staying in El Portal so we one of those days we plan to drive in early and park in Curry Village to hike up the Mist trail to Vernal falls. Perhaps keeping our parking spot

on that day and doing #2 above would work if anyone has advice.

We have an park entry pass. I've seen a Park produced video about the dangers of the river. We're all adults but will be cautious. But, does anyone know if the Merced river level is lower due to the unusually low snow levels? We will be there Monday June 21st & Tuesday the 22nd so not too late into the summer.

thank you in advance,

5 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,973 posts
196 reviews
168 helpful votes
1. Re: Swimming spots in the Valley
Save

Yes, the flow in the Merced River is lower than normal.

Be careful around slippery granite.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
11,782 posts
2. Re: Swimming spots in the Valley
Save

Yes, not moving your car is a good idea.

There are beachy areas near the bridges. Near North Pines Campground, Clarks Bridge, usually popular because of campers. Stoneman Bridge, a bit past Curry Village.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
29,151 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: Swimming spots in the Valley
Save

We usually camp at Upper Pines and would go to Stonesman Bridge to swim. Right across from Curry Village. Best to get there before the sun goes away from the pool as it does get cold. Superb photo of Half Dome in the background if the river is not swift and you can walk into a little bit. We usually go in August so slow flow.

The Stoneman Bridge beach area: https://goo.gl/maps/4bWGZtjyuNQBRAje9

Our other spot is by the bridge between Upper and North Pines here: https://goo.gl/maps/J5nx1gew3DCKXLFK8

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
193 reviews
266 helpful votes
4. Re: Swimming spots in the Valley
Save

I like Housekeeping Camp where there is a nice beach with some deep spots (depending on the month). HC will be at half capacity so there might be space for parking too but it depends on how things are set up this year.

11 posts
5. Re: Swimming spots in the Valley
Save

Thank you all!

Reply to: Swimming spots in the Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.