We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite air quality and haziness from wildfire smoke

2 posts
Yosemite air quality and haziness from wildfire smoke
Save

My fiancee and I are planning to travel to Yosemite 8/15-8/18 and then Incline Village 8/18-8/21. We saw today that the air quality is currently not great in Yosemite due to the Tilltill fire and it's pretty hazy so the views aren't very good. We're from the east coast so don't have a lot of experience dealing with this type of thing. I know it can change at any time depending on the wind but is there a reliable forecast for that? Or is there no way to know in advance how smoky it will be? Any advice on what we should do (wait and see, cancel the trip, etc.) would be much appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
299 posts
17 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Yosemite air quality and haziness from wildfire smoke
Save

No, I don't think there is any way to forecast more than a day or two in advance and even that can change on short notice. A useful resource is the Fire and Smoke Map, which is run by an assortment of government agencies. This is updated a number of times each day: https://fire.airnow.gov/#

I like that one better than the inciweb site (https://inciweb.nwcg.gov) because it shows the areas affected by smoke, and it shows sensors that will tell you the PM2.5 pollution levels.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,973 posts
196 reviews
168 helpful votes
2. Re: Yosemite air quality and haziness from wildfire smoke
Save

There is another smoke/air topic that was started today on this forum.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
83,733 posts
8,650 reviews
4,063 helpful votes
3. Re: Yosemite air quality and haziness from wildfire smoke
Save

you can monitor it on

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/nature/aqmonitoring.htm

too early to tell but given the massive fire we have in California ....its more likely than not.

Level Contributor
1,289 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Yosemite air quality and haziness from wildfire smoke
Save

Re what you should do, its a tough one. You might be fine and lovely and crisp, or it might be just a bit smokey, or it might be awful and hazardous.

So it really depends on your cancelation policy, your tolerance to risk, any plan B options you might have etc.

Reply to: Yosemite air quality and haziness from wildfire smoke
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.