We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Springdale or St. George

South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Springdale or St. George

Planning a last minute trip to canyon country, for July, on a budget. We will have our 12 month old and 3 year old with us. We are used to hiking with them, but it will change our adventures.

It seems like Springdale is very expensive. We were even looking at campgrounds (but I'm worried about the noise and heat). I saw an archived post that mentioned St. George and Snow Canyon State Park. They mentioned sand dunes, a dinosaur center and an aquatic park, as well as Snow Canyon state park. I looked and the prices are WAY more affordable for a place where we could actually have AC. If we stayed in St. George, we would probably only spend a little bit of time at Zion (it's an hour away). And then would disperse our days among the other things. Maybe two at Zion, but maybe not. What are your thoughts on this?

And we don't have a set number of days. We have a wedding on July 9th in Vegas, and are staying with a friend. After that, we plan to adventure a bit. We thought about the week before, but then we get July 4th traffic. Thoughts?

South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Springdale or St. George

Another option is Hurricane. Just sounded like there was more around St. George, so that we wouldn't have to drive so much every day. Still looking into Hurricane, as well.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Springdale or St. George

You have nailed the dilemma. Time commuting from St. George vs. expensive and limited lodging in Springdale.

If money were no option, Springdale is the no-brainer. You can see the cliffs of Zion from your hotel swimming pool and can literally walk from the town into the park.

If it's way over budget, St. George may be the way to go. Snow Canyon is a nice state park.Not sure the kids would appreciate either very much. But young kids can have a blast at Snow Canyon. You could do a couple of days commuting to Zion. Not the best scenario, but could work for a couple of days. Arrive early.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,723 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Springdale or St. George

The biggest issue I see with staying in St George which is a fun place to stay with lots to do btw, is the heat. July will be blazingly hot in St George and Snow Canyon and those lower elevation areas, even Hurricane will not likely be pleasant. That in itself will limit what you can do in the daytime substantially.

I would suggest you pick somewhere at a higher elevation. You are traveling to the desert areas in the middle of summertime, it will be harder to find somewhere pleasant enough to visit in July.

South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Springdale or St. George

Thanks for both your responses. I was reading it was hot, but didn't realize it was THAT much hotter. I was looking at weathers in July and it looked like 104-105 ish weather for both places. But, that doesn't mean the weather report is correct. I mean they are predicting for JULY. Our weather has difficulty reporting a few days in advance. hmmmm. We've vacationed in July in Vegas before and in AZ (although I don't think AZ was as hot). Lots to think about. That was also pre kids.

Edited: 18 May 2016, 21:41
South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Springdale or St. George

It looks like St. George has more to do, if we don't just want to hike the entire time. Is that accurate?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,723 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Springdale or St. George

July can easily be over 110 degrees in St George. Averages dont really help much in this case since their will always be higher temps in some weeks vs others.

If you decide you want to stay in St George, you can visit the higher elevations like Zion, and Pine Valley which is a fun place to visit with lots to do about a 45 min drive North of St George. And you can visit things in St George in the early morning hours that you want to do outdoors.

BUT, really no way of telling what temps may be in July for St George till right before your visit unfortunately.

Here is some good info on visiting St George and what to do there, ect that should be helpful to you.

https:/…Things.To.Do.In.St.George.Utah.html

If you decide you want to stay in St George, then make sure you post in that forum for help with where to stay, places to eat, ect.

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Springdale or St. George

Assuming I were comfortable camping, I think I'd take any noise and heat in Zion over having to drive in from farther. During the daytime if it gets too hot, you can go into the Narrows or play in the river; hit the IMAX at the park entrance; hang around the museum and/or visitor centers (really interesting stuff, including stuff for kids). Or if it's really going to be a hot day, take a day trip up to somewhere like Bryce, which will always be at least 10 degrees cooler (it's at much higher elevation).

South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Springdale or St. George

Thanks all. Ok, I'm thinking St. George is out. We really do want to see Zion. I may just have to be creative and make some more money in the next couple months before our trip, then our budget will be bigger. :)

Camping is still an option I'm thinking about. Thank you for all your great advice!!

9. Re: Springdale or St. George

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2017, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Springdale