We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grafton ghost town

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
65 reviews
Grafton ghost town

We will shortly be spending two nights in Springdale and as we approach the town I was wondering whether to visit Grafton ghost town. Looking on the internet it appears there are only two buildings there an old church another building and a small cemetery.

I know the bicycle scene from "Buch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" was filmed there.

Are these the only two buildings there? Is it easy to find?

americansouthwest.net/utah/zion/grafton_ghos…

Edited: 07 June 2016, 00:27
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
131 reviews
1. Re: Grafton ghost town

Yes, not much there. On SR9, it is very easy to miss the turnoff in Rockville. Likely you will have a dozen cars behind you as you slow down to try and read the sign posts. I have looked for it and drove by the sign more than once.

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Grafton ghost town

I always take visitors to Grafton, not a lot to see but it is well kept and most find it interesting. Be sure to visit the cemetery and try to Google for some of the history. The turn off is at the East end of Rockville, onto Bridge St.

The bridge is historical, too, there is a drive to keep and repair rather than replace.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Grafton ghost town

Thanks folks. I'll locate the turn off onto Bridge St. and put the GPS location into my SatNav.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,194 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Grafton ghost town

Not a whole lot there, but still interesting.Cemetery included.

If there around sunset, the cliffs glowing in the distance behind those buildings can look nice, even from the road in.

https:/…Grafton

If the road is not bad, the short run up the first big hill on Smithsonian Butte Road offers some spectacular views of Zion and the valley.

The bridge is very historic, and definitely worth taking pics and checking it out.

http://rockvilleutah.org/bridge/

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Grafton ghost town

As others have said, there's not a whole lot there, but there are more than two buildings. The following is based on notes I made two years ago; forgive any errors in building names. In addition to the cemetery, there are the following:

(1) restored Alonzo Russell home

(2) restored schoolhouse/church

(3) Louisa Marie Russell home (across from Alonzo Russell home; might also have an outbuilding)

(4) John and Ellen Wood home, barn/granary (before you get to the turnoff for items 1 and 2, above, the Wood home is on the left

(5) Dave Ballard home and barn (when you get to the turnoff for items 1 and 2, above, turn left instead of right).

(6) I saw something in the distance that was on private property. It was a small wreck. Based on location, it might have been the Albert Russell home, or the Will Isom home or something completely different.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Grafton ghost town

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

On another note, travelling north along I15 towards Springdale I'm not sure where to leave the interstate! My SatNav tells me to leave I15 onto Rt. 17 through Toquerville OR should I leave I15 earlier onto Rt.9 through Hurricane?

Any suggestions?

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Grafton ghost town

If you need to do some shopping get off at Hurricane, if not the Toquerville exit gets you to Springdale a little faster. In case it hasn't been mentioned, there is a Walmart and a Lyn's Grocery in Hurricane. Coming the RT 17 way you still have the Davis Farmer's Market before turning on Rt 9 to Springdale.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Grafton ghost town

If you're getting off at R17 then you might as well see Silver Reef ghost town off at Leeds en-route.

If you need last minute shopping there's a Wal-Mart at the start of Hurricane.

Either way, similar distance/time I suppose.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
131 reviews
9. Re: Grafton ghost town

I would not have thought getting off at Toquerville would be faster than getting off at Hurricane. Less traffic lights through Toquerville makes the difference?

That Davis Farmers Market is a good place to stock up on groceries and beer. It is located on the junction of SR17 and SR9, so accessible either route you take.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: Grafton ghost town

We plan to make a stop at Smith's in Mesqiute for last minute shopping and to pick up a couple of bottles of wine before we get into Utah!

Get answers to your questions about Springdale