We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corn Islands help please

nc Coast
Level Contributor
299 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Corn Islands help please

I am planning on returning to Nic this winter. Somewhere between 12/15 and 3/1. I am male, 62, traveling solo. I am primarily traveling to relax, fish, mingle with locals and other travelers.

I would like to get recommendations for a place to stay on both LC and BC. Would like a place on the water or very close to it. Something close to restaurants and watering holes and where I can mingle with others. Someplace where me and my stuff is secure and ok to walk around at night alone ( to and from restaurants / bars ).

Another big consideration is my fishing. I will be using local guides but I also would like to stay at a place close to where I can fish from shore on days when I am not using a guide. Within walking distance hopefully.

Cost is not a big issue. I usually try to find something in the 30-35 max range but have stayed in places @14.00 or 60.00 and been very happy. I live on the hot humid coast of NC so I am used to heat and humidity and can live w/o a/c if there is a breeze and screens for the bugs. Don't know now how long I will be there on the islands but I am thinking 1-2 weeks depending on the fishing and how much fun I am having or bored I get. I didn't visit the CI last time because it seemed like a great place for a couple, not so much for a solo 62 yr old., but as I read more about the islands, the people, and the fishing I have decided to try it.

By the way, I would like a private room or cabin ( preferably ) with a private bath and hot water. I am more willing to share a bath and do without HW than share a room, but open to all suggestions.

One other question. I am planning a trip to fl mid Dec to see my Daughter and family and thought about continuing on to Nic. for Christmas / New Years. Question is how busy are the islands around Christmas / New Years? I was in Costa Rica a few years back at this time and it was crazy busy and more expensive.

Thanks in advance

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
58 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corn Islands help please

The islands around Christmas/New Years are crazy busy, waves are high and it rains a lot. Return before Dec/24.

You can go to LC and stay at Los Delfines or Lobster Inn.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corn Islands help please

Thanks, I will pass on a Dec visit maybe a little later ...around Jan -Feb

Austin
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corn Islands help please

We stayed at Mama Lola's on Big Corn and I can't say enough good things about the place. It's on the east end, where it is more of the locals. There is a couple of stores within walking distance and a nice place called Seva's to eat. In addition Mama Lola serves breakfast, lunch and dinner with a full bar. Cabs are easy to get and will take you anywhere else. We basically had the place to ourselves, we fished off the point with great success. They will help you get set up with local folks to fish. The rooms run from $35 to $50 and all have there own bathroom. We loved it there and Mama Lola is a great cook.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corn Islands help please

Thanks I'll check out Mama Lola's. Did you have any luck fishing from shore or were you fishing from a panga? I plan on trying both. What were you catching? What time of the year? Thanks in advance.....

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corn Islands help please

We've stayed several times at Ike's Place (Vientos del Norte). You couldn't ask for a nicer or more knowledgeable host than Ike (who lived in the States for several years), and accommodations are simple, clean, and pleasant.

Austin
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corn Islands help please

We were there the 2nd week in August, caught yellow tail (think that's the name) all from the shore. There's a nice little stone jetty that we pretty much fished from. They know locals that will take you out.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corn Islands help please

Thanks, is the stone jetty on LC or BC?

8. Re: Corn Islands help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Corn Islands