We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

California, USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

Hello! I am arriving Managua from the USA at 11:22am on Sunday. I am thinking about connecting to the 2:00pm flight to Big Corn Island. I don't know how long international customs/immigration will take.

Do you think I will have enough time to catch the 2:00pm flight to Corn Islands? If I don't make it, do you know if I can use my ticket the next day?

Thank you!!!

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

I do not think that you will have a problem and i do not think that you can use your ticket the next day

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

If you can get a seat assignment near the front of your airplane it would be helpful. First come, first served! If there are multiple flights arriving at the same time, it could take awhile, but that is hard to predict. At its worst, with lines all the way to the back wall at immigration, I don't think we waited more than 90 minutes. You might be able to use your ticket the next day for a fee.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

It was my experience back in May that La Costena had at least 3 flights full of people going to big Corn on the 2:00pm (12 people per plane). Those of us who arrived at their recommended 1.5 hours before flight departure got on the first plane. That plane went directly to Big Corn with no stop at Bluefields. The second plane made that stop. Not sure about the 3rd plane, however, most luggage from the first plane arrived on the much later flight. I have heard luggage can arrive the next day if the load is full, so prepare yourself and take your bare necessities for over night just in case.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

I'm not sure how much help I can be to the OP, Bridget_CA, but I wonder if it would be simpler to leave some of your luggage with Las Mercedes or another nearby hotel so you don't have to lug everything to BCI/LCI. It does appear that there are severe restrictions on the amount of luggage one can bring on-board the flights to Corn Island.

We store luggage for our guests who stay with us their first couple of nights upon arrival and encourage them to sort of use us as their home base while they do a couple of nights in places like SJdS, Ometepe, or Granada.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

You might be fine arriving Managua that amount of time prior to your La Costena flight. However, I personally would stay overnight at a hotel near the airport and go to Corn Islands the following day. You cannot use your ticket another time. You can`t predict whether your flight will be on time or how long it will take for you to collect your luggage and go through customs. You might get through in 20 minutes or it might take 2 hours. You have to arrive at La Costena early enough to process and weigh your luggage and yourself and pay for extra weight and departure tax, fill out forms and show your passports, go through security. You will also want some extra time at the main terminal to use the ATM prior to going to Corn Islands. If you decide though to chance it and go to Corn Islands the same day you arrive in Managua, jonly take carry on luggage so you aren`t delayed by collecting checked luggage and taking it through customs. You are only supposed to take 25 pounds total luggage on La Costena anyway, they charge for anything over that and only accept it if they have enough room, although I have not seen them reject luggage for being overweight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

Non problem whatsoever

7. Re: Arriving Managua at 11:22am. Enough time for 2pm flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Big Corn Island