We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

liquor stores and groceries

Rowlett, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
liquor stores and groceries

Does anyone know if there are stores for liquor and groceries on the island? Thanks!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
169 reviews
1. Re: liquor stores and groceries

Not really either - there is a small store on the front side that has a small selection of food items - I think they sell bottles of rum as well

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
539 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: liquor stores and groceries

Tis true Sean420! (Let Timmy Smoke) :-)

There is a few mini grocery stores for basic supplies, even batteries, tampons etc. They sell little food but we found chips, cheese, melons and the like and this fantastic hot sauce (I brought some home)!

Susie

Rowlett, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: liquor stores and groceries

Thanks for the tips!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: liquor stores and groceries

I hope to go back in February - was there in 2009. I plan to do some strategic grocery shopping in Managua before the flight to BCI - coffee, rum, snacks - think I remember a big grocery store near the airport (anyone got a comment on that?). There aren't a lot of fruits or vegetables on the island; pretty much everything comes over on the panga from BCI, and BCI gets it from the mainland. Except for coconut bread which is local and wonderful! I plan to bring a do-it-myself coffee filter to make coffee. What you are served with there is dreadful - mostly instant - or horribly prepared - so ironic, given that wonderful coffee is grown in Nico!

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
5. Re: liquor stores and groceries

There are few stores on the island, "Oliver's in front of the dock, and Los Delphines about 30m past Dive Little Corn, these are the main 2, but there are a few smaller sores that are providing a bigger choice, If you walk round enough you can find good fruit and vegetables

Rum you can buy anywhere but is cheaper on the main land - but in all still Cheap!!!!

Thanks - Dive Little Corn

New Mexico
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: liquor stores and groceries

One thing important to mention -- when flying on La Costena to BCI, your total baggage limit (that's your bags, your hand luggage, purse, daypack, whatever) can't be more than 1 suitcase & 1 item for a total of 30 pounds or 13 kg, and they mean it! So I won't be bringing very much to LCI!

Little Corn Island...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: liquor stores and groceries

There are a variety of small markets on Little Corn Island. The largest one, Delfines store (managed by a nice guy named Billy) has a variety of food from packaged and canned items, milk, bread, rice, beans, pasta, ground coffee, condiments, cookies, snacks, etc.. Frozen local meats... Fruit & vegetables, which varies with day to day (main delivery is on Saturday afternoon.)

They also carry a pretty wide range of:

- Liquor, beer, and canned beverages.

- It's also a hardware store

- Has a small range of basic pharmaceuticals and toiletries

- Sells plates, cups, napkins etc.

- Cleaning supplies, laundry soap.

- Batteries

Oliver's, mentioned in an above post, also has most of these kinds of items.

There are probably about 12 other small pulperias around the island, some harder to find than others, and each with their own strengths and weaknesses... Some sell local baked goods as well.

Also Tranquilo & Little Corn Beach & Bungalow started doing fresh brewed Nicaraguan coffee in their restaurants about 2 years ago, and now several others have abandoned their "Presto" instant coffee ways!

Little Corn Island...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: liquor stores and groceries

@ HomeInMontana

La Costeña does have a limit on FREE luggage of 30 pounds... They're happy to let you carry more... At a cost of about $1 per pound.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
868 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: liquor stores and groceries

Just heading to Little Corn in a few weeks for the first time - are Delfine's and Oliver's still open and the best place to buy snacks, beer, liquor, etc?

Would they be pretty easy to find by asking around when we arrive on the panga?

Thanks!

Little Corn Island...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: liquor stores and groceries

Yes, everything that was here then is still here now.. There's also an open-air vegetable and fruit stand daily right nest to the wharf as well. (There are a couple of farms right on Little Corn where some of it comes from, and the rest comes fresh from the mainland twice a week)

The island is small, and most of the shops and stores are on the front side of the island, not far from the wharf, and are hard to miss.

And with La Costeña.. as before.. Checked luggage is free up to 30 pounds. More than that is approx. $1 a pound. Also, anything you can cram into one carry-on is also free (they will weigh you with your carry-on at the same time.)

Get answers to your questions about Little Corn Island