We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations and Weather

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodations and Weather

We have a group of 6 (maybe 8) looking to go to Little Corn in late November. I am concerned with the weather being bad and missing the panga to and from Little Corn. Would it be wise or even possible to find accommodation once we arrive at Little Corn just in case rather than risk not making it? Would it also be recommended that we try to leave for Big Corn a day earlier than our flight back just in case? Thank you so much.

MIAMI
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations and Weather

Hi, I flew to Big Corn Island and from there we took the panga to Little Corn Island and yes, there are accomodations where you can stay at, several actually. I know for a fact that that those places don't get full but I would recommend to make reservations, for the simple fact that they can give you any rate once there. If you make reservations then they can not change the hotel rates. I stayed at the Hotel Los Delfines and it was clean and convenient. The island is so small you can actually walk around it in a couple of hours, but is nice. As to your last question whether you should leave Little Corn Island before your flight back, I would. Some times the water gets so rough that the poeple operating the pangas cancelled or if there is only one or two operating everyone wants to get in it and it becomes a race to be able to get in it. Hope this was helpful.

MIAMI
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations and Weather

Hi, I flew to Big Corn Island and from there we took the panga to Little Corn Island and yes, there are accomodations where you can stay at, several actually. I know for a fact that that those places don't get full but I would recommend to make reservations, for the simple fact that they can give you any rate once there. If you make reservations then they can not change the hotel rates. I stayed at the Hotel Los Delfines and it was clean and convenient. The island is so small you can actually walk around it in a couple of hours, but is nice. As to your last question whether you should leave Little Corn Island before your flight back, I would. Some times the water gets so rough that the poeple operating the pangas cancelled or if there is only one or two operating everyone wants to get in it and it becomes a race to be able to get in it. Hope this was helpful.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations and Weather

Does the airfare with La Costena fluctuate? Maybe it would be best to book one way to the Corn Islands, go to Little Corn, then the day we get back on big Corn make our onward flight plans.

central america
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations and Weather

La Costena's airfares are fixed, $106 one way Managua-Big Corn or $164 return. Most hotels (check the small print on some) allow some flexibility on earlier check outs in the case of bad weather. Other than Thanksgiving, end of November is not very busy so finding somewhere to stay is not usually a problem, but clearly if you have a preference you should consider booking in advance, even if you exclude the last night, you then have freedom to spend it in Big Corn, or stay another night in the same or even a different hotel on Little Corn.

You can just check on weather whilst you're here. or nearer the time. I live on Little Corn and generally find WINDFINDER to be the most reliable forecast for wind at least, which is what affects the panga rides. This site has full listing of accomodation on the island www.littlecornisland.net

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations and Weather

Thank you guys so much for the input. You have helped a ton :)

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodations and Weather

Hi, I agree you should go over to Big Corn the day before your return flight, and BTW my favorite place to stay on Big Corn is Ike's. Make sure you've booked the flights round trip. Also, be prepared for this issue, both coming and going on LaCostena: sometimes they will fly more than one plane to Big Corn and it can be a little random as to which plane you'll be assigned -- and this goes for your luggage, too. Your party may be split up -- some of you on one plane, some of you on another. One plane may go direct to Big Corn and one may go to Bluefields first and then to Big Corn. (The panga to Little Corn will wait for everyone.) This is utterly unpredictable. You may be waiting for awhile in the airport in Managua or Big Corn so get a meal before you go the airport. Remember if your luggage & carry-on are overweight you'll pay so check the LaCostena website for weight limits. Be patient! This is one reason why I load my e-reader up with books. Have a great time!!

Edited: 02 September 2012, 03:53
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodations and Weather

Thanks for your input! We have a group of 4 arriving in September and now we won't be surprised or suspicious if we get split. We have a week at LCBB and a week at Sunrise on Big Corn. Any suggestions of "must do activities, food or entertainment"? How about safety to rent golf carts?

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodations and Weather

LCBB is a good choice of upper-end places to stay on Little Corn. Our favorite restaurant is the Cuban place. If you want Ropa Vieja, you need to tell them ahead of time. If you dive, or want to learn to dive, Little Corn is a great place for it, but you can also go out on a boat to just snorkle. On Little Corn or Big Corn you can fish, too, but that's not my activity. We just pass through Big Corn on the way to Little Corn. I read, swim/snorkle a little, eat, sleep, and relax.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 05:56
9. Re: Accomodations and Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2013, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Little Corn Island