We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gallipoli or Otranto?

Skipton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Gallipoli or Otranto?

Hi. Visiting for the first time in June. Planning to spend 8 days and need to decide on a base. We like a mix of sightseeing and beach days. We enjoy wandering in the evening & finding restaurants and bars. Which place has the best of both? Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
1. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Stayed in Otranto for 4 nights early June a couple of years back. Spoilt for choice for restaurants and bars. Visited Gallipoli from here and although a lovely town well worth a visit in its own right in my opinion Otranto wins by a short head.

Skipton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Thank you. Did you visit the beaches in both towns?

Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
3. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Yes, both beaches are right in town and are sandy beaches but Otranto was better from a point of view of cafes and WC's. Otranto just came over as being more of a seaside town whereas Gallipoli seemed like a town with a beach if that makes sense. There are other beaches outside of Gallipoli old town.

Skipton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Thanks very much. You've been a great help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
5. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Agree with above. The big difference between the two coasts is beach type. Otranto and the surrounding coast is rocky and characterized by cliffs. The Gallipoli side has some of the most beautiful sand beaches you will ever see. Otranto is more touristy. I would say 8 nights in either town is too long. My wife and I are near Ostuni and we will pick a coast for the day based on wind direction. It is an easy drive to either side. 4 nights in Ostuni or Lecce will set you up better to see all of Puglia and limit long night time drives back to Gallipoli.

Brookline...
4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

We are going to Puglia at the same time. What are the best places to visit/stay Bari and south along the coast? Should we go north of Bari. Thanks

Skipton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Thanks Steve. We have now opted for Galatina in the middle and can then opt for east or west!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
8. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Porto Cesareo on the Gallipoli side and Torre dell'Orso north of Otranto are gorgeous sand beaches. The coastal drive around Otranto is beautiful and dramatic with some beautiful photo ops. Don't miss Santa Cesarea Terme, Grotto Zinsalusa and the 2hr boat tour from Castro that includes 2 stops to swim in stunning water. Just make sure its a pretty calm day or the boat can't get in the grottos. If you are adventurous, north of Torre dell'Orso is Grotto della Poesia...a huge opening in the rock where tons of people jump, dive, snorkel etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
9. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Janet, thats a tough question to answer all at once...so much to see and do. I will start off by saying that staying around Ostuni and Lecce sets you up to explore the whole area. Most dinners will be late and you need a city big enough to have many restaurants to chose from....unless you dont drink then driving home from dinner isnt an issue.

Highlights north of Bari are Matera ( must see) Trani, Castel Del Monte amoungst many others. Depends on weather , time of year and your travel style

Perth, Australia
2 posts
10. Re: Gallipoli or Otranto?

Hello,

May I ask which wind direction is best for which coasts?

Thank you so much :)

Reply to: Gallipoli or Otranto?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gallipoli