We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

holbox
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Wow, this just keeps changing.. But the best ones remain...

The most common wish I hear from visitors to Holbox is that they hope it does not turn into another Playa del Carmen. My thoughts are the best way to do this is to keep the locals in business, happy and prosperous to not sell off their families' land.

So what follows is a list of LOCALLY owned businesses that I find to generally be more consistent (meaning the same chefs and employees- mostly because they are family owned) and in the case of the restaurants, to serve the local food as it has been prepared here for generations.

BREAKFAST:

FRUTERIA LA CAMPECHANA: On the main road in front of the square. Fresh fruit store. The best liter of orange, grapefruit, or mandarin juice in a bag for about $2 USD.

OTHER FRUTERIAS; Man, they come and go! Right now there are tons all over so you will find them. Also, in the mornings great fruit juices and smoothies one street North of the main road between plaza and beach, behind hotel Wayak.

LAS PANCHAS : Directly behind Hotel La Palapa, this family cooks out of their kitchen, providing the best empanadas I have ever had. They also serve tamales, enchiladas, salbutes, etc. Try the empanadas made with cheese (queso) and chaya. For the more adventurous, they should also have Raya (ray) and Cazon (baby shark) empanadas.

PALAPA DEL MAR: Next to Holbox dream Hotel directly on the beach from 8:00- fresh orange juice and simple breakfasts.

LUNCH:

LAS PANCHAS : Directly behind Hotel La Palapa, this family cooks out of their kitchen, now making comida corrida, or a typical local dish such as frijol con puerco or choco lomo. Big pots made daily sold at 50 pesos per huge serving. Excelent food at a great deal and a great way to sample true local cuisine.

BUENA VISTA GRILL: Directly behind Hotel Faro Viejo. Holbox’s best ceviche, cold beer, grilled fish and lobster, octopus, conch, etc. Conch is considered to be an extreme aphrodisiac and fertility symbol. Wonderful place to spend the afternoon looking at the ocean. (Note: the view is only blocked by the one wall- not the restaurant in front that is beach front- no longer local).

POLLO MAGO: In front of the square on the west side. Daily specials and mainstays.

PALAPA DEL MAR : On the beach next to Holbox Dream hotel. Fresh fish, ceviche, and fresh coconuts picked by the wonderful family that runs it. (It is believed that if a local offers you a coconut you will return to Holbox- and if you take it with alcohol- well, that;s what I did….)

RASTA PALAPA: On the beach in front of Hotel Casa Sandra. Food changes daily depending on the catch. True local experience with wonderful local fishermen. Grab a hammock and relax…

LAS PALMAS (OR “CON LETY”): From the main road “Tiberon Ballena” up towards the ferry pier take the Paseo KUKA (there is a rentadora on that corner) and go two blocks west. Local seafood and daily specials.

ZARABANDA: One block towards the lagoon from the pizzeria on the square. More seafood, stuffed avocados, Veracruz style whole fsh, and regional favorites such as poc chuc

AFTER LUNCH TREAT: ICE CREAM!!!! Two blocks towards the lagoon from the Pizzeria on the square- WORTH THE SEARCH! Homemade waffle cones and natural coconut ice cream…mmmmmmm

If you cant find that one Helados Meresa is also local and sold almost everywhere, the main house is on the street behind the church. Just ring the doorbell…

WONDERFUL LUNCH TO GO:

LA POLLERIA: On the main road a few blocks towards the lagoon from the square. Daily grilled chicken with a simple pasta soup, rice, and cabbage. Sold by the 1/4, 1/2 or whole chicken.

DINNER:

VIVA ZAPATA: 1/2 block west of the square. Local guys who have spent time cooking in Europe. Wonderful grilled seafood and steaks and pastas. Reopening mid December with original cooks

PIZZERIA EDELYN (CON CHEFO): On the southwest corner of the square. Famous lobster pizza and other menu options. Great place to watch Holbox at night.

BUENA VISTA GRILL: See lunch- sometimes also open for dinner

SIRENITA: One block towards the lagoon from Internet Antonio. Regional food- WONDERFUL sopes, panuchos, salbutes, chalupitas, THE BEST chicken soup, etc.

TAQUERIA TIO NICO: Next to Pollo Mago, lots of salsas to add to your choice of tacos.

MISC: Fresh tortillas in either of the two tortillerias on the main road

BARS:

HAVANA NIGHT: Main shopping road next to Viva Zapata

INTERNET:

DON ANTONIO: One block West of the SW corner of the square. Clean, comfortable, cheap intenet access.

Tony is also the guy to ask about buying land

BABY SHARK: On the road from the hotels to town.

SHOPPING:

BABY SHARK: On the shopping road

ARTESIANAS LELIA: On the SW corner of the square. Wonderful shells and shell crafts, many made locally by the owner herself at great prices. A must see!

SHELL ART: Next to Willy's supermarket, forgive me on the name, i will have to add it later- it says something about snails (caracol shells)

All of the super/mini marts are locally owned. Remember prices will be a bit higher than mainland Mexico. After having made the trip here from Cancun yourselves, think of the logistics of getting everything here!

WHALESHARK TOURS:

O.K., this is a good one. ALL boats leaving from Holbox to see the whalesharks are locally owned. The captains and most guides are locals as well. But, if you reserve through your hotel or another agency they will obviously take a cut. Prices are generally the same but I find it easier to simply reserve once on Island with a local agency (Willy's, Cholecos, Mogels, etc.- some of those also have web sites, your best bet is the worse the English, the more likely they are to be local...) Generally there is room to get on a boat even in the highest of season so no reason to reserve through another agency. This applies to all tours and transport. A huge money maker for the hotels- better to get here and ask the locals.

Hope you Enjoy Real Holbox!!!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
1. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Great job once again, milikis! Thanks.

2. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 18:40
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
3. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Fantastic list -- every place was great and just as described. Thanks!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
4. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

So glad people are finding this list as useful as I have found it and its predecessors over time. It's a winner!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
5. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Bump

1 post
2 reviews
6. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Noa- is this you? I've been trying to find you, we're coming to visit in May. Would love to chat before! Shoot me an email, if you still have my address. Otherwise contact me through my website, www.kellyliken.com

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Fabulous!!! List printed ready! Only 12 days to go!

I'll try as many as I can!!!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
8. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Please report back. We'd all love to know about your experiences!

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Definitely! Trip advisor has been such a help to me when booking I'll be glad to return the favour to all fellow travellers!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
10. Re: THE LIST- updated Feb 2011

Bump

Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island