We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
33 reviews
beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

I spoke to someone yesterday who vacationed at Isla Holbox about a year or so ago, plus I read an article the other day about this gem. Looking for any information you have. We have been to El Dorado Seaside Suites twice in the Maya, we have been to Punta Cana, and been to Rincon de Guayabitos on the Pacific Coast.

But this island has caught our attention ...

we are a couple in our early 50's - love the private beach thing, like to relax on a beach or by a pool. Enjoy good food and good drinks. We don't do a lot of excersions usually but are open to suggestions from any of you "pros" out there ...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
18 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

Hello,

I am just back from Holbox. The island is cute, small and very quite. Not a lot to do, for this reason it is a good destination for few days. BUT be aware of mosquitos! You must have a strong repellent with you (I use Off - Deep woods) and keep using it all day long. I really mean 24 hours a day.

I did the 3 island tour and I enjoyed it. You can do the Shark Whale and a lot of people love it as well.

Let me know if you need more info.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

am going at the end of this month.....now you have me worried about the mosquitos. was there a breeze while you were there?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
18 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

Sorry for my late reply. It was hot and humid in Holbox. On the second day I was there, it rained for a couple of hours. In the evening there was some breeze. It is a nice quite island, but you definitely need a good repellent especially if mosquitos like you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

thanks everyone - I am thinking the mosquitoes are generally worse in the summer than the winter, but I'll keep this in mind.

Olive Branch, MS
Level Contributor
24 posts
5. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

We were in Holbox in March and again in June. Even though we prepared mightily, we never even saw a mosquito. We stayed at Mawimbi the first time and Tortugas the second time, and loved both. One thing to know, though, is that neither of those hotels has tv .... not a problem for us, but might be for some. We rented a golf cart for one day our first trip, and rode around the island. The second time we were there, I broke my leg, so we rented a golf cart for the real reason. However, everything is so close that I wouldn't rent one for more than a day in order to see all the beauty of the island. We ate at various restaurants, and never had a bad meal. We, too, are in our 50's and are looking for somewhere such as this to retire.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

good to know about the TV's ... or lack of. Not an issue for me but may be for hubby :)

ottawa
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

There were very few mosquitos when we there in february and all the rooms at Villas Paraisio have TV's

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

thanks. I am really leaning on Villas Paraisio for 4 nights and then off to either Playa Del Carmen or Isla Mujeres for 6 nights ... decisions, decisions

9. Re: beginning our winter vacation search-could Holbox be it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island