We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

Illinois
7 posts
Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

I am in the process of making some travel plans.

The only nonstop I could find within my budget leaves Cancun at 12:30 pm.

We would be staying on Holbox the night before.

Would there be enough time to make that flight given catching ferry and then a taxi to the airport?

Does the ferry usually run on schedule?

I appreciate any advice you can give me

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,402 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

You will definitely have enough time if you take the 5AM ferry and maybe even the 7AM ferry. When I have used the ferries, they were very close to on time. And the first one of the day, will almost always depart on schedule.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,618 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

I do not know the timing for the ferry and land transport but given that I usually suggest being at the airport three hours prior to departure (930 AM), an overnight stay near the airport or even downtown by the ADO bus terminal may be a wise decision. Here is a hotel by the airport that has free shuttle service

marriott.com/hotels/…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,402 posts
157 reviews
3. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

The taxi ride is under 2 hours, which I forgot to mention.

If you do want to stay near the airport the night before., you also have another option for a hotel, the Comfort Inn, which also has free transportation.

www.comfortinn.com/hotel-cancun-mexico-MX067

Illinois
7 posts
4. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

Hi,

thank you both for the great information.

I am only staying 5 nights, so want to spend as much time as possible on the island.

I am looking into a later return flight, although it's a lot more expensive

Ontario
Level Contributor
57 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

Yes, I'm pretty sure my flight was around the same time and I took the 7am ferry. Ferry stalled mid-way across the channel to pick up extra passengers, and I still made it with plenty of time to spare. I would recommend confirming your flight/ check in on web before, otherwise I think you'll be fine.

Have a wonderful time!!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

If you take the private plane on Aerosaab airlines they will pick you up at the airstrip on Holbox and deliver you to the private airport adjacent to the main Cancun airport. From there you catch a five minute cab. We were told that a bus came every twenty minutes, however our overseas flight was at 2:00 and I didn't want to wait. The airline employees are very professional and we found them prompt. The flight was about 25 minutes. They'll tell you what time you need to be picked up in order to make your 12:30 flight. Our round trip cost for two was about $1,000 US. I don't know the one way cost. The plane holds three passengers. Let us know what you decide to do! Have fun on Holbox!

Edited: 27 March 2013, 21:30
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

If you take the private plane on Aerosaab airlines they will pick you up at the airstrip on Hilbox and deliver you to the private airport adjacent to the main Cabcun airport. They are very professional and we found them prompt. The flight was about 25 minutes. They'll tell you what time you need to be picked up in order to make your 12:30 flight. By taking the flight from Holbox, we were able to spend a relaxing morning on the island. Well worth it!

Our round trip cost for two was about $1,000 US. I don't know the one way cost. The plane holds three passengers. Let us know what you decide to do! Have fun on Holbox!

Illinois
7 posts
8. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

Hi

We were able to find a flight back that leaves at 3 so we wont have to leave quite so early.

The private plane sounds fun but is a bit out of our price range.

Unfortunately our flight is now arriving in Cancun at 12 so we probably wont be able to take the bus ad we had planned.

Does anyone know if it would be cheaper to catch a taxi away from the airport (to the ferry)?

The 250-280 round-trip just seems like a lot.

I think we only paid $60 for a taxi from Tulum to the airport.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,402 posts
157 reviews
9. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

The Aerosaab is a bit out of my price range either. And really, I enjoy the ferry and ground route.

Aerosaab is short one plane today since one crashed on the main highway in Playa del Carmen. Fortunately only the pilot was slightly injured but the plance was a total loss.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: Is it Possible to make a 12:30 pm flight from Holbox island?

That's a scary story! Thank goodness there were no serious injuries! Hmmm. When someone recommended them to me on this site I was told they had a good safety record. The winds are strong and gusty at the beach. But, the pilots seemed to be quite thorough and confident. I'm just really glad no one was seriously hurt.

Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island